Convert Your CF Cards into an SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubergeek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]This is not a new trick. I've seen a similar concept years ago when SSD's where first introduced.[/citation]
Only difference between the ones I bought several years ago? SATA vs PATA. Nothing new here.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
My 4GB 300X CF card cost $50 on Newegg. My 133X 16GB CF card was $40, but it is pretty slow compared to the 300X. This doesn't sound very cost efficient given the prices of high speed CF cards. I can't imagine the prices of the new 600X CF cards.

G

They need to disclose the price for the hardware. If it's less expensive than a comparable SSD, than I'm all for it. However, if it's the same and/or more expensive than the comparable SSD, then why not go for the SSD instead.
On the other hand, I always welcome alternative technology. A little competition usually lowers prices for the consumer.
And that ain't not bad. :)

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bowtie[/nom]And that ain't not bad.[/citation]
I believe you have a double negative there. What exactly did you meant to say?

G

Sorry for posting under another profile, but I'm unable to post under the user bowtie.

It is a partial quote from The Simpsons.

Bart: "All's I know is I'm getting straight A's, and that ain't not bad!"

The quote should explain everything.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I may be wrong, but isn't this the same company that use to make shitty motherboards years ago? Or is that another Chaintech?

Either way, this technology is not new.

[citation][nom]psycho sykes[/nom]At first glance.. The title made me think that it's turning my (CrossFire ready card or setup)![/citation]

I was thinking that as well. I saw the CF and normally think crossfire. :lol:

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
[citation][nom]psycho sykes[/nom]At first glance.. The title made me think that it's turning my (CrossFire ready card or setup)![/citation]
same reaction here. AT first I said, "What the heck? Video cards in CF (crossfire) can become an SSD?" then suddenly, it pertains to Compact Flash. :p

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
This is noting new PATA/SATA CF adapters have been around for years and Most modern boards with SATA II have software RAID functionality anyway (I doubt this is a hardware solution form the price)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Shame they only put 2 CF cards in this casing, you could probably fit 4 in easily enough. If you were to use 4 SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash at 64GB each and 90Mb/s that could give a 256GB card with over 300Mb/s.

Sure there will be overheads as speeds dont exactly scale and costs are quite high but the cost should come down and the RAID controllers will only get better. I like the idea that if one card dies you can replace it and the others are still intact.

joker463

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I don't understand this, it's not new in any way. Not even the sata format. addonics has has dual cf to sata ssd adapters for some time, and they're much much more versatile, can be installed into the front of a pc a laptop or a number of different mounting choices. I'm guessing cheaper too, starts at $31 for the basic setup. http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adsahdcf.asp So is there something new about this device I'm not seeing?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ok, if you want an ssd then just go buy one, the cost does not justify this solution. 16 and 32gb ssd are dirt cheap compared to when they first came out, not to mention a lot faster

Status
Not open for further replies.