Converting a non smart Sony TV to a smart Sony TV

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
You can insert a Bluetooth device but if the TV doesn't have Wi-Fi connectivity features, I don't think this could be added. Also, no voice control feature can be added. It's better to buy a new smart TV instead.

You can insert a Bluetooth device but if the TV doesn't have Wi-Fi connectivity features, I don't think this could be added. Also, no voice control feature can be added. It's better to buy a new smart TV instead.

That is incorrect and also a waste of a good TV.

A Roku/Chromecast/Firestick works via the TV's HDMI port, no BlueTooth. The stick contains the WiFi functionality that is required. Check out the Roku models to select what fits you best. I also believe a new Chromecast model was recently released so you can check there also.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have a Non smart Sony LCD digital Color TV August 2011 Model no. KDL- 40EX720. Can it be converted to a smart Sony TV? If so what is the procedure

I agree with the others who suggested a Roku. Even new from the factory, smart TVs have barely enough CPU and RAM to run the smart apps, and, after only a short time, the manufacturer stops offering updates. Then it gets slower, and slower, then just completely unreliable.

My Sharp Aquos from 2012 was pretty good at running Netflix and YouTube for a while. I stopped after about 2015 or so because the responsiveness got so sluggish, it was painful to use pause, play, fast-forward, rewind, etc.,

I started relying on a newer BluRay player 2016. There was still some lag, but the smart apps behaved better than on the TV. Again, eventually, things got a little slower, except at one point, Netflix crashed when I'd left a movie paused too long, then semi-boot-looped. Then the device just hung, and even unplugging it for an extended period and plugging it back in, nothing but a blank screen.

Yes, a smart BluRay player was so smart that it bricked itself.* I couldn't do a factor reset, because that required being able to boot up to the home screen first. It was only a year old at that point.

I got the cheapest Roku. My TV is 1080p. The responsiveness is snappy, instantaneous. Neither the TV nor the BluRay player could ever hope to behave like this. And now the TV and replacement BluRay player (oddly, one older than the one that bricked itself) don't need to be connected to WiFi.

* strangely, just for laughs, I plugged in the BluRay player a few weeks ago. I guess it must've somehow cleared itself out, because it seems to work now. I use it only to play DVDs and BluRay discs, and NOTHING else.

The cheap little Roku does much more than either the Smart TV or the Smart BluRay player ever could, and does it far better.

EDIT: to emphasize the point, if I ever wind up replacing my TV, I really hope that they offer "dumb" TV models. Just give me a bunch of HDMI ports, maybe a Coax input and a Component input. I do not want apps on it. At all.

Reactions: Corwin65

TRENDING THREADS