Converting AC97 connector to 4 pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsrover

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
So the internal sound broke on my computer :(
I'm trying to get the front audio pannel to work (just the headphone port)
Bought a sound card off of ebay and it came with a 4 pin audio header set up like this
(RGGL) right, ground, ground, left
I looked at the pinout of the AC97 10 pin connectors and pulled out pin 5 (right channel) pin 9 (left channel) and pin 2 (ground) and hooked it up.
The audio out on the back still works, but I hear no sound out of the front audio jack. Did I set something up wrong? When I plug in headphones there's that kinda clicky-scratchy sound that comes out of my powered speakers. But no sound out the headphones.

In your description of what you did with pulling out the pins you only described three pins and you need four , right,ground,ground and left. Unless you left out one and didn't list it , I'm just going by what you posted , so you need another ground?
Anytime you start fooling around with something liks this it doesn't mean it's a simple thing even though it seems like it should be.

marsrover

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

marsrover

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

That's what I'm doing. Just makes the cord a bit short.

marsrover

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I've got one of those. It's being used elsewhere and it cost me $3 or so. I don't think the gold plated connectors really do anything when you're just trying to watch youtube and play a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.