Converting from MBR to GPT:

Riceballism

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question pertaining to GPT specifically. I currently have my HDD formatted with an MBR partition and would like to wipe everything clean and install it as a GPT type. Why am I doing this? I have a 3TB hard drive and my MBR only recognizes 2TB of it, so I have a waste of space there.

My question is: how would I go about turning my HDD into GPT? I want one big 3TB drive as my C: drive and no separate partitions. I understand that I will need to install a 64-bit edition of Windows 7 to even have the option to go GPT since it's x64 bit architecture. Will I be able to boot up normally like an MBR partition? Are there any drawbacks from going GPT than staying MBR?

I am currently backing up my personal files on an external drive as of this moment. Hope to hear your thoughts, guys.

This is my motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

Solution
Yes, it will boot and run the same way from your perspective. There aren't any particular drawbacks. You need to boot the install disk in EFI mode and it will enable GPT.
From my experience, you may see duplicate entries for the install disk in the boot menu. On an ASUS mobo it's usually F8 to get to the boot menu. One entry will be the "standard" entry and another will be prefixed "UEFI." Just select the latter and the Windows installer should be able to format the whole 3TB (in GPT mode).

Riceballism

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Alright, I will try this later on. Thanks for the help! I'll get back to you if anything goes wrong or if I have anymore questions.