[SOLVED] Converting from MBR to GPT

Sprysea

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015
Hello!

I was looking into my computer the other day, because the boot time is more or less 30 seconds with an M2 SSD with NVME.
It goes like this: Start PC. Splash screen with "Del to enter BIOS" etc. Some 10 - 15 seconds of white underscore blinking and changing position in the upper left corner, windows loading and then desktop.

I found out that my whole system was set up using the MBR format and running legacy with CSM enabled. If I change CSM to disabled and the legacy to UEFI, my computer does not register any disks and boots to the BIOS again.

I've done some digging around it, from what I can gather it is because my system is running legacy. Eventually it led me to finding out about converting from MBR to CPT and generally it seems rather safe to do this convertion without dataloss.
I even found this line which I believe will work nicely in converting my M2. -- “gptgen [-w] \\.\physicaldriveX”, where X is the drive number reported by the Disk Management console or the “list disk” command of the Diskpart utility.

Anyway, the reason why I'm making the post is simply to ask if I should convert all my other storage disks as well, or just the M2?

I have two M2 SSD's installed.
One 970 Evo, with the windows 10 OS. The next is just an older one from intel, not optane. Its storage.
I have a SATA SSD and two 1TB HDD's for the rest of the games.

I don't really care if the computer dies on me, as I can probably just reinstall the OS, and as it's a 100% gaming machine, there will be no vital data loss either.
But it would be nice to not have to reinstall everything again, hehe

Sprysea

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015
Use mbr2gpt instead.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

gptgen will just perform partitioning scheme conversion, but your disk will become unbootable.
mbr2gpt was specially made for windows 10 OS drive conversion.

And no - you should not do the conversion, if there is no specific reason to do it. It will not improve boot times by any significant measure.

Alright, thank you!

Do you have a suggestion for what that blinking line in the top left corner before windows boots is?
Is it that the mobo is looking for an OS in my disks?

I've checked that the OS disk is boot selection number 1

Reactions: Userspace