[SOLVED] Converting old IDE Hard Drive to SATA (questions about adapters)

Senn

Reputable
Nov 6, 2020
Hi,

I have old IDE Hard Drive that I want to put in a "newer" PC that only supports SATA.
I plan to buy this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32804801616.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4c5a6127mX6jtE

HTB1LC5bRwDqK1RjSZSyq6yxEVXac.jpg

Do you have experience with these adapters? I'm asking because I'm confused about power supply plugs: Adapter has one (4pin if I see well), and old IDE HDD also has one.
Now, according to this video: adapter does not require any power, you just need to attach SATA cable from motherboard and power cable directly into HDD.
However, here in reviews there are comments like this:
  • " ... both the adapter and the hard drive need power, and this adapter does not come with the cables necessary to connect to the computer's power supply."
I ask because I'm afraid I'll damage the disk if I connect in the wrong way. 😬

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the molex (4-pin) connection is the power for the ide drive. it looks like the sata power plug will send the power through the 4-pin to the hdd so it seems it is needed for the drive to run. so that white adapter will go from the drive to the card to transfer the power.

the card will need to have the sata data and power cables attached to fully operate. looks to me like you need all the connections present for it to work. never tried one of these and long term i'm not sure it is worth it. i'l echo what others have said and suggest a thumb drive to copy all the data to and then send the drive to the big tech dump in the sky :)

Reactions: Senn

Senn

Reputable
Nov 6, 2020
What is the capacity of this drive?
Actually, I want to put two old IDE drives into that "newer" PC that only has SATA. One is 80GB, other is 40GB...
BUT:

I would get a USB adapter, copy the data you want then destroy an IDE drive. They are not worth keeping long term.
Actually, that's a good idea, you are right! :) I'll Google "USB adapters for IDE" now...
Thanks!