[SOLVED] Converting RAW to NTFS

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
A few days ago, I was given a laptop that "didn't work". Upon starting the laptop, indications are that it cannot find a bootable drive. I've pulled the hard drive and plugged it into another computer via a USB connection. And when I examine it, it shows that the drive is a RAW file system.

To expand, the drive in question is a WD 1TB drive with a Windows 10 OS. I am unsure why this has happened to the drive, but, I would speculate that "low battery" warnings were ignored and a complete power failure caused the problem (I've read that this can happen). If true, is it possible to convert the drive back to NTFS?

While a simple format of the drive and installation of the OS will get the laptop running again, the documents will be lost. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Dom

Solution
you can try to change the type via cmd:
  • Open CMD via "Run As Administrator".
  • Type "Diskpart" and then hit Enter.
  • Type H: /FS :NTFS and hit Enter. (H shall be the drive letter of your RAW storage device.)
If it fails, you'll have to recover important docs from the drive via recovery software as if the data was busted, then reformat the drive and reinstall OS.
you can try to change the type via cmd:
  • Open CMD via "Run As Administrator".
  • Type "Diskpart" and then hit Enter.
  • Type H: /FS :NTFS and hit Enter. (H shall be the drive letter of your RAW storage device.)
If it fails, you'll have to recover important docs from the drive via recovery software as if the data was busted, then reformat the drive and reinstall OS.

Solution
A few days ago, I was given a laptop that "didn't work". Upon starting the laptop, indications are that it cannot find a bootable drive. I've pulled the hard drive and plugged it into another computer via a USB connection. And when I examine it, it shows that the drive is a RAW file system.

To expand, the drive in question is a WD 1TB drive with a Windows 10 OS. I am unsure why this has happened to the drive, but, I would speculate that "low battery" warnings were ignored and a complete power failure caused the problem (I've read that this can happen). If true, is it possible to convert the drive back to NTFS?

While a simple format of the drive and installation of the OS will get the laptop running again, the documents will be lost. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Dom
Seems odd that a power failure would cause the file system to do that. If you want to try and get the information off of the drive, try plugging it back into the laptop and boot the laptop to Linux via a USB stick. I personally like using either Mint Linux of Knoppix for this.

Reactions: Dom46