Discussion Convince your girlfriend to abandon PC and get a Mac. How?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joking
Option 1 - switch girlfriend for one that does not know the value of money.
On secend thought forget that. My wife is in LA visiting our son (she prints the pictures taken at the SyFy charity convention in LA). Anyways she called me the other day saying she found her xmas present and would I get it for here, after saying ofcoarse, she said Her and Asa saw it in the window and he talked her into going in and look at it, REAL Cheap at 25 grand - Ouch good thing she was joking - LOL. - She has a PC desktop and a PC laptop - but prefers her ipad over the laptop, but for working, it's the Desktop. My Son is a Big mac fan, but he has yet to sway me.

Any way, if you con her into this, and she regreats it - my option may be more ?????

Ian-Mac

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
You could install the developer preview of Windows 8 and show her how terrible and confusing it is. I am hoping that Windows 8 is not the future for all Windows operating systems because I am a big fan of 7. I use Mac, Windows and Ubuntu and like them all equally. They are all good in their own way.

Have you ever considered allowing her to buy a decent laptop with a processor that supports AMD-V or Intel VT-X? That way she could run Windows 7 and also run any operating system she wants in VirtualBox (including OSX).

It’s clearly the price she has a problem with and I don’t blame her. The only way you could sell the price to her is buy showing her the resale value.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

First, I think Macs are fine, and I lol that you're trying to get your gf to get into it since I'm a PC guy and my gf loves apple, and I thought the whole world worked like that :)

However, you're asking us to help you convince her by providing logical justification for a decision you arrived at from an entirely different mental process. Why are you trying to manipulate people? Maybe she cares more about rational things like value for money than a burning hatred of Microsoft. Not that Apple's any better, but a discussion of that kind of thing will derail the discussion.

My advice: give it up and be honest about your motives.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Firstly, this is Tom's Hardware, a website full of PC enthusiasts who like to tinker with their hardware & software. And you expect to get pro-mac arguments from us?

Secondly, if you think Microsoft are more evil than Apple, you clearly haven't done all the research you claim (and no, watching videos of iOS and OSX and drooling isn't research). In every area I can think of where Microsoft has a bad track record, Apple's is at least as bad, and probably worse. They are more like a religion than a company, inspiring unreasonable zealous enthusiasm in their followers, all of whom are blind to reason and infatuated by appearance over function. You yourself seem to have become one of the devout, attempting to 'convert' your gf away from her religion to yours.

You are no longer one of us. Rather than taking pride in your personal configuration, you have chosen to submit yourself to a corporation that instructs you on your computing experience.

Yes, I'm anti-apple.

geezercid

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
1) How can I justify the price of a Mac to buying a PC that's half the price?

Start with not mentioning Ubuntu

2) In what way can I prove Mac is more worth the switch?

Ubuntu, free and fast

3) What counter-points can be made in favor of Microsoft and PC's in general?

Macs are like ferraris (old to overpriced) and pcs are like cars (ford to audi)

homiedontrightclick

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

1. You can't justify this. I have to be honest. I recently bought an iMac and I knew at the point of purchase that I was paying for form factor and brand name. It was totally worth it to me, because I love my new Mac. But to be honest, this is like saying, "How can I prove to my girlfriend that its better to buy the Cadillac than the Chevy?" They're both going to do the same thing, its just the Cadillac looks a lot better, comes with a certain "prestige"(if you care at all) because people know its a luxury item, and generally the interior looks a little better, and is a little more plush(in Apples case, this would be OS X Lion). The Chevy is going to perform most of those functions, allow you to be able to customize it more affordably and comfortably(good luck tweaking any Mac, other than RAM upgrades on your own), and still come in at half of the price. If your girl is into luxury, the "Apple Tax" won't matter much. If she's broke, and just a tiny bit pragmatic(most people) she'll want to go with a Microsoft machine.

2. Again, the Mac is worth the switch only if you have the cash to burn, or if you are just plain sick of Windows, for whatever reason, and you want to try something new and cool. The real difference between the two is obviously the OS, of course, because thats Microsofts main thing, the operating systems. The most current version of Windows, Windows 7 is awesome, in my very humble opinion. Being a very wet behind the ears entry level tech, I really can't sit here and speak of all the in's and out of ever operating system versus another. But what I can say is that Windows 7 is super user friendly compared to previous versions, and if you do just a few things right, you can dramatically reduce the amount of headaches you might have. With all of that said, OS X Lion is a pure pleasure to use. Despite what people say, you don't "lose" your abilities with a Windows machine. Especially if you've been using them your entire life. You are going to remember to do whatever you want, assuming you knew how to do it in the first place. The switch isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. When I got my Mac everyone I knew asked the same two questions: How hard was the switch? and Can I try it out? Within few minutes you're pretty much good to go. Because thats the point of OS X. It really isn't just marketing material. It is super, super simple to use. It seems very childlike compared side by side to Windows 7. Windows seems like the grown up in a business suit, and OS X Lion seems like a young hip artist, or something. I was taken back by how simple it is in reality. I love that about OS X, but I could totally see what a lot of people wouldn't.

3. Well, Microsoft is awesome, really. You can build your own machine. That is so awesome. With Apple, even the choices they do have available are limited, and the amount of things you can add to your machine are regulated really strictly. And when I look at my iMac, it looks a lot more intimidating to open up and tinker with. That is my biggest and most serious complaint with Apple, honestly. I would like to be able to crack open my machine and tweak what I want, but its simply not so. Microsoft whens big when they allow you to build your own machine and use legit software to run it. Plus, Microsoft is everywhere, and if she is going to run into any OS, theres a huge chance it will be Microsoft. I would tell a complete computer neophyte to learn Windows first. I'm sure this isn't the case in this situation, but it is worth mentioning. We have to mention the price factor, again. Add in the rest of the stuff your average Windows fanboy would say, and there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.