Convincing parents to let me buy and build a PC

Sep 24, 2018
This is my first time asking a question here.
Sorry for the long post, I wouldn't be able to express my problem otherwise.

Currently, I am 13 years old (don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot that rage quits on stuff) and uses my dad's Fujitsu laptop that's relatively fast. Recently, I got Rainbow six siege (my first game for PC) with my own money. Turns out, my dad's laptop doesn't have a Nvidia graphics card and instead has Intel graphics. On the lowest setting it barely pushes 30 fps.
So, I decided that I would finally use my money in my bank account (which I can't access without permission) to get a $1500 setup including all the peripherals. But my dad said no. Here are the arguments on both sides.

Dad
- the laptop works totally fine doing homework and programming (which is my hobby)
- rainbow six is working perfectly (he doesn't know what 60+fps ultra settings is) this is the hardest one to counter
- The Chromebook supplied by the school is enough
- There is nothing that I can learn by building a PC because I'm a big nerd already
- I would get addicted

Me
- a custom built PC can be used much longer by upgrading
- I would treasure my build more because I have full responsibility
- it is cheaper than a pre bult one
- my motivation for learning programming and get a career would go up
- it would be faster in general tasks
- I have never had my own PC before

I have used all of these arguments before

After over a year of negotiating (yes actually), my dad hasn't changed his opinion. It's my own money after all, right?
Please tell me how to counter his arguments or a new argument that would convince him.

Please don't tell me:
- to get better grades; I already do
- that my parents don't have enough money; we have 3 laptops currently

Really, really sorry for making this so long.

Watch the language please

Solution
Not much you can do mate-You have presented your arguments but its ultimately up to your dad to make the choice and it seems his mind has been made. Believe it or not he is looking after your best interests-he probably thinks that investing in a gaming pc would encourage you to spend more time gaming resulting in neglecting your studies/other important tasks; not saying that would happen but as a parent myself thats what comes to mind.

You can keep on trying to negotiate/talk him into it but I don't like your chances.
Not much you can do mate-You have presented your arguments but its ultimately up to your dad to make the choice and it seems his mind has been made. Believe it or not he is looking after your best interests-he probably thinks that investing in a gaming pc would encourage you to spend more time gaming resulting in neglecting your studies/other important tasks; not saying that would happen but as a parent myself thats what comes to mind.

You can keep on trying to negotiate/talk him into it but I don't like your chances.

Solution
Have you asked them what it would take(what can you do) to get them to allow you to build it. You're negotiating from your perspective instead of theirs. You need start from their perspective which is why you need to ask under what conditions would the allow it, and then start your negotiation from there.

Is that $1500 money you have earned, or is it perhaps the start on a college fund?

If it is earmarked for other purposes, you will need to find a way to earn your own money for the project.

As in all such things, if DAD is reluctant, try to enlist MOM's help.

You can build a pretty good gaming computer for under $1,000, if that money is there for just general use, lower your budget and check with parents again. You can even get a decent gaming laptop for about $1,000 and sell the current laptop to put money towards that.