Cool Age Debuts Two New 6-Pipe Heatsinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I like their products, but I don't get it. This configuration has been widely used the past few years and Cool Age was not the first to implement it. Potential patent troll?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]I like their products, but I don't get it. This configuration has been widely used the past few years and Cool Age was not the first to implement it. Potential patent troll?[/citation]
It is the 6 heatpipes they are patenting. Most heatsink use 2 to 4.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I'm skeptical about this "Wind Tunnel" technology. Is it just a marketing gimmick, or does it really improve cooling? Guess we'll have to wait on some benchmarks!

Either way, i'll stick with my TRUE.

If I would to ever buy this I dread cleaning it, sure it will out perform most coolers out there but I typically use my rig up to 12-15 hours a day so dust builds up very quickly making monthly cleaning essential. The folds to the many fins make it difficult to properly maintain a clean surface for optimal performance which can be negated in a hot and humid climate. Compressed air does a good job getting rid of the fluff but not the fine film.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]It is the 6 heatpipes they are patenting. Most heatsink use 2 to 4.[/citation]
I know our patent system is all crazy and messed up, but can you really patent a number? That's basically what you're saying they're doing.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]It is the 6 heatpipes they are patenting. Most heatsink use 2 to 4.[/citation]

I'm going to patent 5 and seven then ;-)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]5lbs of copper, ouch. I hope people that use that keep their motherboard flat, or at least build some supporting arm or something into their case. I thought my old Zalman 7700cu was heavy.[/citation]
Sorry, should have said 4.2 lbs

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Another thing you should look out for is coolers that have too small of holes that dust will get trapped in. Dust is not a good conductor of heat and prevents proper air flow. One of the first Zelman coolers I got was great at handling dust as it spreads out wide enough between the fins that dust does not start to cake to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS