Cool Your PC or Lpatop with Ionic Wind

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

this is a quite old system to create airflow. I suggest people to search google for small UFO/helicopter like flying devices using this technique. The main probem is the efficiency...

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
As partially already pointed out, problems are: high voltage generation (efficiency, reliability problems in commercially available CCFL inverters), electrocution danger (only organoleptically unpleasant, if proper done - high source impedance), ozone generation, potential EMC problems (LV digital electronics and HV don't cohabit nicely, electrically charged particles in LV HZ electronic circuits can wreak havoc), particle contamination is a show stopper (conductive particles - insect zapper anyone? - and humidity, can quickly short the electrodes).

All in all, it might (somehow) work in a lab, but the real world is much tougher.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Sounds interesting and practical too. I would definitely want to have one if it was available.[/citation]
And if it also has a m$ sticker, it's a done deal... best ever.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
There's a reason the "Ionic Breeze" flopped and was discontinued. Not just because it didn't work, but because it was hazardous to your health as well. OZONE = BAD. How bad? Lung cancer bad. Could never be used in closed spaces with recycled/recirculated air supplies.

Why do they still think this is a good idea?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
how can something this elaborate be cheaper than a plastic fan with a simple motor? and the reiability issue with fans - well if the tiny power supply fails on this thing, then what? and what about enviroments where air isn't clean ? I just returned from a trip to our wielders, and there's a ton of metallic dust inside the computers there. Wouldn't this solution break in such a location?

Status
Not open for further replies.