Question Cooler for a build with i7 9700k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2019
Hello.

I'm making a build and it's my first time doing it. I have choose all parts except the cooler, i'm not sure which one to get. First of all i will show my build:

CASE: CORSAIR 570X MIRROR
CPU: INTEL® CORE I7-9700K 3.6GHZ 12MB LGA 1151
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA SKT 1151/4XDDR4/HDMI/5 USB 3.1/ ATX
GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2080 AMP! EXTREME ED 8MB GDDR6
RAM: HYPERX PREDATOR 8GB 2666MHZ DDR4 (x2)
HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2
POWER SUPPLY : RMX SERIES RM750X 80 PLUS GOLD FULLY MODULAR ATX POWER SUPPLY
CPU COOLER: (I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE TO GET)

I have in mind Noctua D15S (dual fan and radiator but perhaps too big), Noctua U14S (single fan and radiator) and Corsair H100i Pro or Platinum.

What do you think about it? I'm open to other suggestions for coolers either AIO or Air Cooler.

This pc will be for intensive use for gaming.

Ty

Edit: I'm also thinking in put 1 or 3 more SP120 fans depending on the Cooler i get.

Last edited:
You cant go wrong with Noctua coolers. They are really the Lexus of CPU coolers. But they are a little pricey and in my opinion, ugly. The Cryorig H5 or the Crorig R1 will both fit in that case and are very good coolers that are a little easier on the eyes.

I have not built a system with that case, but airflow will be restricted because of all the tempered glass. This may pose an issue for an AIO. A quality air cooler will be quieter and last longer than an AIO and will have very similar performance. But AIO's look cleaner and show your system off better. So if the looks is what is most important, then go for the H115i as it is a decent AIO.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This is a preference question, so we need more information.

Do you plan to overclock the CPU at all?
Do you care about fan noise, or are you seeking as much silence as possible?
Do you care about RGB lighting effects on the cooler or fans?
What is your budget for a cooler? Preferably not just 'something reasonably priced'. Knowing how much you plan to spend does impact suggestions.

Apr 11, 2019
This is a preference question, so we need more information.

Do you plan to overclock the CPU at all?
Do you care about fan noise, or are you seeking as much silence as possible?
Do you care about RGB lighting effects on the cooler or fans?
What is your budget for a cooler? Preferably not just 'something reasonably priced'. Knowing how much you plan to spend does impact suggestions.

Hello!

Ok lets go..

1- For the time being i'm not thinking in OC the CPU.
2- I dont really care about noise. Almost all coolers are balanced in noise production area (at least the good ones).
3- If the diference is between a ugly cooler with better perfomance (like 1 or 2 degrees better) and a good appearance cooler, i would prefer the second.
4- Budget it's not really a factor..

Ty

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For the time being...

That's iffy. From a budget standpoint it's not a great idea to spend out good cash on a cooler, just to decide sometime later (as soon as tomorrow?) that you really do want to OC just a smidgen and find out your cooler isn't up to the task, forcing you to decide whether to scrap the OC idea or lose money on a replacement that can.

You can't ever over-cool a cpu, a cooler too big just runs slower and quieter no matter what punishment you drop on the cpu. With OC in mind, the simple answer is go big or go home. Get the largest cooler you can. Costs a little more, but opens up options not available on smaller coolers. Better cooling potential, more moderate temps, quieter...

For the simplest install, either the Noctua NH-D15S, Cryorig R1 Universal or Fractal Design s36 AIO. For an AIO that has matching rgb fans and a slightly more complicated setup due to rgb, the Corsair H150i Pro. If a 360mm AIO is daunting, then the Evga CLC 280 or Nzxt Kraken X62

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I didn't like the Corsair H150i Pro, but the Corsair software UI is nicer than most...about on-par with NZXT.

I liked the NZXT Kraken X72 for looks and user-integration. I liked the Cooler Master ML360R and ML240R for outright performance as they each cooled very well for AIOs compared to their peers.

EVGA CLC models are relatively decent, as well, but fans can be a bit noisy. Again, decent software UI.

I would still recommend the above air coolers because they have the capacity and capability to move to a new platform and perform well.

Honestly, those AIOs have the same Aseteck pumps inside. The only difference is the price, software, and quality of fans.

The refreshed Corsair AIOs come with the ml fans and they are fantastic.

I like the way the NZXT coolers look, but the Kraken coolers are too expensive when you compare them to the Corsair.

I never had a cooler master AIO, but I am sure it is the same.

As long as your case supports it, I would go with the air cooler over all of the AIOs though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I much prefer the krakens, I could care less about nzxt wanting to know how hard my pc is running and at what temps, but I do like the cam software, it's so easy to just drop my x61 on silent, adjusted by liquid temp instead of cpu. Makes for silent operation for sure unlike my cryorig R1 Ultimate that ramps far too easily with the crappy old mobo software/bios settings.

Only reason, really, I suggested the h150i pro is that it comes with RGB fans that match the case, saving op money overall since he was thinking about adding 3 more fans, and the rgbs aren't cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.