[SOLVED] Cooler for CPU

Jan 3, 2022
Would Noctua 9S or tower 15D suffice to cool i9 12900KF a bit undervolted ~0.05 ? Use case is rendering and Visual studio compiling.

Solution
I would not try it. At least not with such a tiny undervolt, those chips should be able to dip quite a bit lower. The i7-12700k, for example, can go to -0.120 without any issues. Didn't try further, but according to some Youtube videos I watched, it seems to be close to the limit.

However, I strongly recommend a much better cooler like a Noctua D15 or a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 Pro for this CPU. The i7 can work with lesser coolers (she's using a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 for 35€) and undervolted as demonstrated by a friend of mine, though it's at the limit; I wouldn't even try with the i9. It got higher power draw AND higher heat levels.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-12600k-12900k&num=12

Which says about the U9S, indicating it would have trouble at very high loads:

"The Alder Lake processors were tested with a Noctua NH-U9S heatsink with dual fan configuration while using the Noctua NM-i17xx-MP78 mounting kit.

With the i9-12900K pulling close to a 200 watt average, the average core temperature on air cooling was 81 degrees with a peak of 98 degrees.

The Noctua U9S with dual-fan configuration was capable of cooling the i9-12900K a majority of the time, but there were rare instances of it approaching 100 degrees."

I would think the dual tower D-15 would be fine.

Maybe look at the U14S? It would be 8 or 10 degrees cooler than the U9S.

Reactions: saltweaver

KyaraM

Admirable
I would not try it. At least not with such a tiny undervolt, those chips should be able to dip quite a bit lower. The i7-12700k, for example, can go to -0.120 without any issues. Didn't try further, but according to some Youtube videos I watched, it seems to be close to the limit.

However, I strongly recommend a much better cooler like a Noctua D15 or a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 Pro for this CPU. The i7 can work with lesser coolers (she's using a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 for 35€) and undervolted as demonstrated by a friend of mine, though it's at the limit; I wouldn't even try with the i9. It got higher power draw AND higher heat levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: saltweaver
Solution
By how many degrees? For 1 or 2 it is negligible.
Deepcool Assasin lll on the same level as D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4?
Couple of degrees, mostly within 5C degrees depending on testing methodology and platform, but those few degrees can give you some much required headroom on high loads and matter significantly during OC. The Assassin lll is equal to the D15.
That doesn't mean the Dark Rock is bad or incompetent in any way. Its just that with such a powerful CPU, the more headroom you get the more it will perform, specially when the price difference is not too much.

Jan 3, 2022
Couple of degrees, mostly within 5C degrees depending on testing methodology and platform, but those few degrees can give you some much required headroom on high loads and matter significantly during OC. The Assassin lll is equal to the D15.
That doesn't mean the Dark Rock is bad or incompetent in any way. Its just that with such a powerful CPU, the more headroom you get the more it will perform, specially when the price difference is not too much.
Price difference is about $30 with Assassin lll and D15.

Price difference is about $30 with Assassin lll and D15.
For your workload, all 3 are justified. Its upto you what you want to go with. Heres a rough performance chart...

Edit: There is also the CM Masterair Stealth that you can consider in the same category.