Cooler Master Demos V-Series 80+ Gold PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]5 days late, interesting...[/citation]
I love all these snarky comments from ignorant people such as yourself about how Tom's so late on news (yet you are obviously here reading it anyway though supposedly already knew it).

Tom's is a site that doesn't report first hand on news themselves. They do testing and benchmarking on hardware and compile news articles from other sites and place the most pertinent and relevant for the type of site they are on their web site. So of course these news articles are going to be a few days older, but also odds are, most people won't have read all of the news stories on other sites as well, so it provides a very nice and needed function.

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]No matter how nice, and how impressive the specs, and no matter who actually made them, the fact is it's a PSU. That says cooler master on it. That's a stigma that just doesn't go away.[/citation]

Everyone used to stay away from Rosewill PSUs, and recently they have become extremely popular. Why not give Cooler Master a second chance as well?

If it's from seasonic, then it will be a quality unit, though, the brand itfself is stained with the models like the extreme plus and gx, which are junk, and with fake wattage(extreme plus).

[citation][nom]djangoringo[/nom]If it's from seasonic, then it will be a quality unit, though, the brand itfself is stained with the models like the extreme plus and gx, which are mostly junk, and with fake wattage(extreme plus), poor efficiency and high ripple and noise levels.[/citation]

[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]No matter how nice, and how impressive the specs, and no matter who actually made them, the fact is it's a PSU. That says cooler master on it. That's a stigma that just doesn't go away.[/citation]

People have said the same to me about Rosewill, yet some of their PSUs such as their newer Capstone and Tachyon PSUs have been quite excellent. I'd at least give Cooler Master a chance with some of their models if they're good enough and priced well enough.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]People have said the same to me about Rosewill, yet some of their PSUs such as their newer Capstone and Tachyon PSUs have been quite excellent. I'd at least give Cooler Master a chance with some of their models if they're good enough and priced well enough.[/citation]

Rosewill's were never AS bad. They just don't have the "horror" factor coolermaster manages to create And they are generally known for good prices/value.

Coolermaster is known for junk but tries to act like a higher end brand and charges a high price for the "privilege" of owning it. It's a little different.

I just don't see this coming in at a good price considering what they charge for PSUs that are basically garbage. And if they KEEP putting out things like the extreme power plus series... I'm adverse to recommending anything from a company who lies to people who don't know better... If they want to change across the board... Ok.

I'm not saying I wouldn't ever get one. My current PSU is a 3 year old 1000W cooler master silent pro. For the price I got on sale, way it's built, and what I needed it was good. It would just have to be a hell of a deal and their reputation won't just go away because they wanted a gold series PSU and were FORCED to have good quality to get one.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]People have said the same to me about Rosewill, yet some of their PSUs such as their newer Capstone and Tachyon PSUs have been quite excellent. I'd at least give Cooler Master a chance with some of their models if they're good enough and priced well enough.[/citation]

Rosewill was never AS bad and are known for lower end/value and improving. They dont have the "horror" factor like cooler master Cooler master is known for trying to act high end but selling garbage PSUs at a high price. It's a little different.

I have a 3 year old 1000W coolermaster silent pro. For the build quality, price on sale, and what I needed it was good. I'm not saying never. But recommending a brand that lies to trick people who don't know better is a stretch.

They need to STOP selling trash and meet the wattage they say across the board. They can't just put out one series because they wanted a gold option. A gold PSU HAS to be high quality just to get to gold level....

Most Rosewill PSUs were as bad because many of them were the same PSUs under different names. It's only a few of Rosewill's PSU lines that are good. You are correct in that Cooler Master, unlike Rosewill, did try to lie about how good their PSUs were whereas Rosewill just didn't say much about theirs.

A PSU doesn't need to be high-quality to be Gold certified. Technically, it just has to meet the requirements for Gold certification such as PWM and the efficiency requirements, granted in practice, there are many Gold-certified PSUs that fail to actually meet the efficiency requirements. I agree that they should be high-quality, but not that they need to be to be certified so long as they meet the minimum requirements for that certification.

I don't know of many companies who don't lie or at least tell misleading truths. That doesn't make Cooler Master not guilty, but many companies such as Intel, Nvidia, and more have done such in the past and continue to do so in at least some ways, yet we still recommend them where applicable. I understand arguing against Cooler Master for these reasons, but keep things in context if you're going to do that ;)

D

Deleted member 217926

It will take them a while to turn around that deserved bad reputation. They can do it though just like Rosewill did with their Super Flower made units and just like OCZ did before that with their Sirtec and Great Wall made units. Coolermaster just needs to drop all of their crap lines and slowly replace them with good OEMs.

that's why I say I won't ABSOLUTELY say no. I have one after all. they just seem way worse.

Getting to REAL gold, which there is an independent group for(when they get to it), sort of requires good efficient components. Even if they don't hit gold they can't quite be atrocious. Of course they could be lying again. We'll see when the reviews hit.

D

Deleted member 217926

It will take them a while to turn around that deserved bad reputation. They can do it though just like Rosewill did with their Super Flower made units and just like OCZ did before that with their Sirtec and Great Wall made units. Coolermaster just needs to drop all of their crap lines and slowly replace them with good OEMs. Starting with Seasonic is not a bad thing at all.

The reason behind rosewill psus are popular is because most of them are good nowadays, and there's no report of them getting units with fake wattage, the green units are good ones, the hive also decent and the rest of it like the capstone, tachyon and fortress are made by superflower, those are all high quality units, with good reviews on anandtech, jonnyguru, techpowerup,etc.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Dupontrocks11[/nom]Everyone used to stay away from Rosewill PSUs, and recently they have become extremely popular. Why not give Cooler Master a second chance as well?[/citation]

When did they messed up the first time? I love Cooler Master PSUs, thery are silent very powerfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.