Cooler Master Hyper 212x pushing air through the heatsink, into my case.

AKLT

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
I recently changed my stock fan to the hyper 212x, the thing is massive and well, could not be placed on the right as it will be blocking the ram slots. Im using all 4 slots, as such the fan is swapped to the other side.

Heres the question, as it is essentially right next to my exhaust, will the pulling of 2 opposite fans affect cooling? There is a significant gap between them but i fear it may be hindering the effectiveness of the exhaust fan once the CPU fan gets up to speed.

Heres a simple illustration, ive removed the fan to check that the fan indeed pushes air THROUGH the heatsink and into the machine
YAfu6b2.jpg

I have 1 intake infront and 1 at the side blowing right to the GPU.

Will the pull of both fans create some vortex of heat?

I kind of feel its messed up. Help?

AKLT

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

editted the image, the ram slots get in the way of the fan, its not able to fit inbetween

AKLT

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

i've looked into that, reversing the direction doesnt seem plausible, the fan has arrows indicated which way its blowing

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Then attach it to the otherside of the heatsink so its "pulling" through.

you know you can just turn the fans around right? the mounting is the same.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah so mount the fan the other way round to its blowing the other way.

AKLT

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Checked that out, the mount is screwed on in such a way i HAVE to assume its not meant to be reversed. :|
(not the latches attaching it to the heatsink, the fan to the gripping mounts)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

You are assuming wrong. You can move the gripping mounts to the other side of the fan.

Temps should be basically the same
http://www.overclock.net/t/1199135/hyper-212-testing-push-vs-pull-vs-push-pull-also-horizontal-vs-vertical-positioning

AKLT

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Hm, i looked at the fan and the way it was screwed to the grips, i dont think i can remove them.

Regardless, wasnt concerned about the blowing or pulling of the fan.

EDIT: I guess my question is: will the pulling of both fans affect the cooling of the PC? since the exhaust pull wont be as strong OR will it be even better since air surrounding will be pulled harder to that "spot" and thus overall flow is increased

Yes, it will affect the cooling of the cpu and the temps of the case. The hot air from the case isn't being blown out, it partially gets sucked back into the cpu heatsink, meaning the case and cpu temp will rise.

What you could do is to reverse the exhaust so it sucks air in, and on the other top where you have dvd's, hdd, get a exhaust fan. It is not ideal but your temps should be ok.

But the best solution has already been mentioned, just reverse the fans on the cpu heatsink.

AKLT

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Sorry i doubted you, guess my fear of cocking things up didnt allow me to peel off the thick screw covers.

I have flipped over the fans, guess they werent meant to be that way since the fan cage at the back is out and the logo is behind now XD

Thanks so much for the hand holding guys. Needed that push over the edge to fix it.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Cool, good luck. Should be much better exhausting out the back.