[SOLVED] Cooler or Watercooling for Ryzen 5 3600

Ewing

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Hi guys, I recently noticed that my Ryzen 5 reaches a bit high temperatures and I would like to put a better cooling system. I want something economical and as good as possible, for example, what do you think of the Hyper 212 from Coolermaster? I don't have it overclocked and don't plan to do so.
I was also looking at inexpensive water cooling kits such as: Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC240E RGB. Is good?

I currently have a stock cooler and years ago I had an old i7 with a cooler master 212 and had no problems.

Solution
Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC240E is cheap in Amazon but is good vs Hyper 212 for example.
It is not cheap - the retail pricing is deceptive.
You pay more with AIOs over a period of time, if that makes any sense.
-You need to have a backup cooler for when the AIO's pump inevitably fails, in order to not incur extended down time for your PC, so you might as well have a decent air cooler with you.
-When the pump does die - either mechanically, chemically, or biologically - that's it. Toss the whole cooler out and keep the fans that still work.
-Manufacturers/engineers have not make them 100% leakproof. Leak resistant is more accurate. While the odds of one happening are very, very rare now, users can increase said odds if they're...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC240E is cheap in Amazon but is good vs Hyper 212 for example.
It is not cheap - the retail pricing is deceptive.
You pay more with AIOs over a period of time, if that makes any sense.
-You need to have a backup cooler for when the AIO's pump inevitably fails, in order to not incur extended down time for your PC, so you might as well have a decent air cooler with you.
-When the pump does die - either mechanically, chemically, or biologically - that's it. Toss the whole cooler out and keep the fans that still work.
-Manufacturers/engineers have not make them 100% leakproof. Leak resistant is more accurate. While the odds of one happening are very, very rare now, users can increase said odds if they're too rough with them.
-They slowly lose fluid volume over time, so performance won't be what it was after the first couple years. Plus, the majority of these devices aren't intended to be refilled.

Air cooler? The worst thing you likely have to deal with is a fan failure...

Solution

Ewing

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Thanks for the analysis, it seems to me very true, the last thing I want is for it to fail and have a leak in my CPU. I will probably go for the coolermaster hyper 212 then, should it improve my temperature vs stock amd cooler?

May 31, 2021
I recommend the scythe mugen 5 rev. B or scythe fuma 2, they are very good and have a very good price.
in terms of performance, the scythe fuma 2 is a little better but it costs $10 more.

Reactions: Ewing

Ewing

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
I have a good case (Phanteks Eclipse P300). Last week change the thermal paste and clean all the dust/dirt, achieve an improvement of -4 to -5 degrees centigrade approximately.
The stock thermal paste was all glued and had more than a year. I just saw a +10 offer on newegg for the hyper 212

Your case can support a 160mm cooler.
Yes, the hyper212 might do better.
My past experience with mounting a hyper212 was not good.
Instructions were not good and it is hard to get on level.
This was with Intel, so your experience may differ.
I might suggest the noctua NH-U12s redux at a similar price.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm/p/13C-0005-001N1?quicklink=true
Here is a review:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16898/the-noctua-nhu12s-redux-cooler-review
The noctua mounting system is the easiest ever.
For a few $ more, I suggest the regular NH-U12s for the long haul.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u12s/p/35-608-040
The regular unit carries 5 heat pipes, vs. 4 and includes a tube of NH-1 paste.
The redux cut a corner by using pre applied paste.

Reactions: Ewing
The vetroo v5 shown in the video above I actually have one of those in my pc. I replaced it’s fan with a higher flow one, usually idle in low 40s, low 70s in cinebench under load. Seems to improve a bit when you add a second fan for a push pull setup and comes with the spare fan clips.