Question Cooling an RX6400 in a Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF case.

Shaolin_Dragon

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Good afternoon, all,
So, I recently picked up a used Dell 7050 with an i7-6700, and 16gig of RAM.
Only thing it had was the integrated HD530 graphics.
Sooo...I ordered and installed an RX6400. Went in no problem (bit of a tight fit, being an SFF case), and we were up and running.
Only thing is, this thing heats up like crazy. Playing the Witcher 3 on low settings, and this thing hits 100 pretty quickly. There is very little space between the fan and the psu, and I have no idea on how to cool this thing down. When I see it hit 100, I shut it down, and it cools down pretty rapidly.
I've taken the side of the case off, to see if that helps, and it doesn't. Fan is working fine on the gpu, I just don't think it can't handle the load
It's the same thing when I'm playing Skyrim, or The Infected...
I'm considering running an external USB powered fan over it, to see if it lowers the temps, but not sure if it's a wise thing to do
Is there really no hope for this card in this config? I don't want to keep running the card at that temp, as I don't want it overheating and getting fried.
Any help, if available, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, single slot low profile, tiny heatsink and 50W, don't make a great combination.

Getting better airflow to it is a good idea, but I think your opinion on the heatsink just being undersized is correct.

Since it is the lower expansion slot, no room to go taller, so a larger heatsink isn't going to work. You could try adding some heatsinks to the back of the card to get some of the heat out that way.

Install MSI Afterburner and experiment with setting a 30W power limit on it and see how it does.