[SOLVED] Cooling design for new build?

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Edit, this question is revised, different case now in use, same question*

I've been lurking and taking notes from other threads, but I could still use some advice for a new budget-y build.

I am going to have a mostly productivity, little bit of gaming (non-multiplayer, 1080, not marathon sessions). The components are a Ryzen 5 2600X, asrock b450m Pro4 mobo, 16 g PC3200 memory, Sapphire Nitro+ Rx 580 GPU, 1 500gig NVME, 3 TB 3.5 mechanical drive, corsair cx650 PSU. It's going in one of the Fractal Design Define C Mini cases (with TG window if that matters). I do not intend to overclock anything at this point.

The case comes with two 120mm 3 pin fans that seem fairly well reviewed. If my aim was a relatively quiet air-cooled system that can have a moderate load what would you recommend for additional fans/placement of fans? I am going with the stock CPU cooler (AMd Wraith Spire) for now, since I blew more of my budget on case/GPU than I intended. But can spring for additional fans or a low cost cooler if there is one. Thought about the Fractal Celsius water cooler for the CPU, but don't know if my low-moderate usage is really going to benefit from it. Case is currently set up with 120 in front, 120 in exhaust in rear. My guess is adding an additional fan in front (maybe one aimed low at GPU, one high at CPU) and then an additional fan up top? Not sure what the best arrangement would be.

Any thoughts or guidance?

Last edited:
Solution
would suggest you to get one more fan for the top for exhaust, and maybe change the 3TB HDD to a 2TB as its more bang for the buck at that value.
for cases, you can look at cheaper alternative like tecware Forge M, include 3 120mm front, 1 120mm exhaust and you can configure 1 front to the top.

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
would suggest you to get one more fan for the top for exhaust, and maybe change the 3TB HDD to a 2TB as its more bang for the buck at that value.
for cases, you can look at cheaper alternative like tecware Forge M, include 3 120mm front, 1 120mm exhaust and you can configure 1 front to the top.

Solution

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks! Already have the drive (holdover from a previous computer) so that is what it is:) I looked at a couple Tecware cases, but can't seem to find them actually sold anywhere in the states? I like the sound-dampening and minimalist look of the Define 7, and wanted usb-c and the darker tempered glass, so I got the 7 Compact instead of the define C mini. I will definitely aim for a top exhaust, thanks!

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
A follow up question....is there any reason y'all think I NEED or would appreciably benefit from something other than the stock AMD wraith cooler. I don't intend to OC anything.