Question Cooling environment, PWM Curves and Temperature questions.

ZgazenaMacka

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
First of all, Hello I am new here. I came across the forum when I googled various tech questions.

Yesterday I fully cleaned my pc, put in a new thermal paste and added a couple of fans inside because I only had one for exhaust. Before I start down below is my build.
Case: Zalman S3 Midi Tower
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ram: DDR4 16GB (2x8) Kingston 3200MHz Fury
GPU: Sapphire RX590 8G D5 Nitro+ Special Edition
CPU: CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 BOX + Wraith Stealth stock cooler
Fans:
Rear Exhaust: 1x Stock Fan
Top Exhaust: 1x ARCTIC P12 PWM, 120mm, 1800rpm (in the top front slot because I can't put it above the CPU since something is blocking it)
Front Intake: 3x ARCTIC P12 PWM, 120mm, 1800rpm
PLVqkVI.jpg

As all fans are PWM I wonder the best curve settings to balance the temperature in the case. I am not sure what's better to set it in MSI BIOS or via Dragon Center.
Something on the Motherboard is preventing me to put the top fan above the CPU cooler and I hope it's not a problem to put it in the top front slot.
I want to achieve the less noise while the PC is in idle or not doing much and balanced noise with temperature if you know what I mean.

Here's some stats I got since I installed the fans.

Idle over the night, GPU fan off, Chrome(Youtube)
z8WVHUc.png

Idle after restart, GPU fan off
9oQVyv5.png

Rocket League, Steam, Discord, Chrome(Youtube)
LJlWKT1.png

All tips and tricks are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
As all fans are PWM I wonder the best curve settings to balance the temperature in the case. I am not sure what's better to set it in MSI BIOS or via Dragon Center.

Best to do it in BIOS since 3rd party software (e.g MoBo utility) can override BIOS inputs and cause other issues.

Though, your load temps are within normal and i don't see a reason to change the fan curves. If you would were to see 80C on CPU and/or GPU, then i should be worried and looking into what can be done to lower load temps.

ZgazenaMacka

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Best to do it in BIOS since 3rd party software (e.g MoBo utility) can override BIOS inputs and cause other issues.

Though, your load temps are within normal and i don't see a reason to change the fan curves. If you would were to see 80C on CPU and/or GPU, then i should be worried and looking into what can be done to lower load temps.
Sorry for the late answer, the next day I made my own fan curves and forgot about what I posted here.
Anyways. I tried to make it as quiet and cooler as possible. Fans are working at 30% until CPU reaches 60 degrees celsius, at 60c it jumps to 50%. Once CPU is 65c fans start to use 80% of their power. 100% is just in case temperature gets to 70c. Currently keeping it at around 60c when playing Rocket League via steam, using Discord, Streamlabs for replays(I am not streaming nor recording) and Youtube on Chrome + a couple of more tabs in Chrome. It's keeping almost the same temperature as the stats I showed above while using 35-40% less power.
Same I did for a GPU, starting from 18%(minimum) until 35c, then fans work 30%. When GPU goes to 50c fans speed up at 50%. At 60c fans work 75% and leaving 100% for once it reaches 70c.
Also I deleted that Dragon app and adjusted everything in BIOS. I was thinking and was like "why use 3rd party when I have it already implemented?". MSI have really easy user interface with two options, simple and advanced. Actually, simple and simple :D

Reactions: Aeacus