Question Cooling for an i9 9900k

Sep 8, 2019
G'day guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.
This is more of a 2 part question, that involves overclocking as-well as cooling.

But I'll see how I go here first, as my concerns are more cooling orientated.

I recently built myself a new PC (thank's tax return!)
In this build I purchased myself an i9 9900k and a Ryjin 240mm AIO cooler.

At base clock speeds, I'm getting good temps, sitting around 45c under load.

Now, I thought I'd push to try and get 5.0Ghz instead of the base 3.6Ghz.
I was able to achieve 5Ghz with 1.275v
however I did experience the one off bluescreen using Heavy load, but not from benchmarks, i.e Cinebench.

I tried increasing the voltage to achieve 100% stability (if that even was the issue), so much as 1.0volts, I was peaking to temps of 96c.

My current configuration is:
Cougar Gemini T RGB Tempered Glass-Wing Mid-Tower E-ATX Case

Running 3x Cougar RGB fans on the top as exhaust fans.

2x fans on the side panel as Exhaust fans
1x fan on the rear as exhaust

My AIO is on the front panel of the case, with the 2 fans covering the 240mm radiator. (also to note, this cooler also has a small, high rpm fan on-top of the CPU as-well).

While my GPU has 3x fans, side mounted, drawing in air from the sides of the case.

My fan profile (all fans excluding GPU) is set to:

Fan speed (%) Temp (C)
30 40
50 60
100 70

Any suggestions on whether my current configuration and settings is sufficient cooling for the i9, or whether it may be an overclocking error I'm making?
I've previously read, that the OEM thermal paste is sub-par, so I'm going to remove it and apply Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Compound.

thanks for reading, and thanks in advance!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That i9 is a monster when it comes to heat. At 5.0GHz it's putting out @ 250w, which is right at the limits of that 240mm AIO. For that cpu, the old addage 'go big or go home' seriously applies. It's most comfortable with full custom loop cooler, but a decent 280mm/360mm aio will do in a pinch. Not even the mighty Noctua NH-D15 is sufficient at that clock speed. You really need a cooler with 300+ wattage capacity if wanting full core/thread loads at halfway decent temps.

The paste is fine, most pastes will be within a 5°C± range from decent to blah. Most of the time it's ease of use, spreadability, cleanability that puts one paste better than another.

You don't want to use Conductonaut. That's a metallic paste that uses an acid base to keep it in liquid form. What that means is 2 things. First, it'll create corrosion between the 2 different metals, the IHS and the cooler base, and second the acid will eat away the stencil on the cpu that has the cpu info, voiding the cpu warranty. That's to be avoided at all costs. Stick with standard 'paste' pastes like the TG Kryonaut or Noctua NT-H1 instead. Conductonaut is only used under the IHS in delidding, not above it.

Sep 8, 2019
That i9 is a monster when it comes to heat. At 5.0GHz it's putting out @ 250w, which is right at the limits of that 240mm AIO. For that cpu, the old addage 'go big or go home' seriously applies. It's most comfortable with full custom loop cooler, but a decent 280mm/360mm aio will do in a pinch. Not even the mighty Noctua NH-D15 is sufficient at that clock speed. You really need a cooler with 300+ wattage capacity if wanting full core/thread loads at halfway decent temps.

The paste is fine, most pastes will be within a 5°C± range from decent to blah. Most of the time it's ease of use, spreadability, cleanability that puts one paste better than another.

You don't want to use Conductonaut. That's a metallic paste that uses an acid base to keep it in liquid form. What that means is 2 things. First, it'll create corrosion between the 2 different metals, the IHS and the cooler base, and second the acid will eat away the stencil on the cpu that has the cpu info, voiding the cpu warranty. That's to be avoided at all costs. Stick with standard 'paste' pastes like the TG Kryonaut or Noctua NT-H1 instead. Conductonaut is only used under the IHS in delidding, not above it.

I honestly don't know what my AIO is rated at in-terms of Wattage, and can't seem to find anything related to it.
Do you happen to know where I may be able to find such info, that'd be great!

Fair enough, I wasn't too convinced myself, I was going off of what other threads had mentioned about OEM pastes. I should've stayed with my gut feeling on that one.

It's truly baffling, seeing as I can load the i9 to 100% on 4.7Ghz and be completely stable temp wise, but take that thing to as much as 4.8Ghz and I'm really seeing the temps rise dramatically.

Unfortunately I can't invest into a custom water cooling loop (as much as I'd love to) as I'm going to be moving this computer around with me a fair amount.

Any suggestions on what I can do to further increase my temp control?
Even reviewing the old argument of where's best for the AIO fans to be positioned?

Thanks again,

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
i would agree the 9900k is a beast to cool but so far i have no issues running at 1.3v (in bios but shows as 1.296v in cpu-z) 5GHz with a kraken x52, i have done burn in testing to check stability i do reach peak temps for 90~c which is high but then again burn ins are worst case scenarios, using a more managable intel XTU stress testing i get 71c as my max and playing games like anthem, destiny 2, BF4, FFXV i only get around 63c as the highest recorded temp after my usual 6hr game time each day (i always keep hwinfo64 on and minimized everytime and check it before i shut down my pc just to see how its doing) but the averages are around 45c according to hwmonitor so im happy with that.

still hot but not the worst but yea i would agree getting a good 280mm or 360mm AIO is the best choice, me personally im planning on getting the kraken x72 soon as id be happy to see it somewhere around 50-ish C if possible when i play games, also i use the CM h500p mesh with 3 fans on top as exhaust with 1 at the back for exhaust as well and i do have a very cold ambient room temp since i do blast my A.C. unit since its toasty in the philippines.