Cooling in a dual CPU rig

yatys93

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2014
I am getting this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NNICZAE?refRID=00HFS1C3M8K3CJGMR718&ref_=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_13

Just trying to think of coolers for the CPU's, I had the idea to 2 120mm AIO water coolers but I can't see the pump liking being in use 24/7, its for a server in case that wasn't clear with the board choice, obviously something like the 212 isn't going to work as you would either have the hot air from one going straight through the second cooler, or the fans working against each other, reducing performance, so that leaves me with blow down coolers like the stock ones, which doesn't seem right.

The CPU's will be Xeon E5 2620 fyi and a the AX860 as I need an ATX PSU with 2 EPS connectors in case you needed to know, I know that it's way higher than it needs to be.

Solution
As long as the AIO is rated for a 95w TDP processor, those E5's will not be any more stress on the pump than any other processor. If you get AIO's rated for an i7-5820K, then you'll be well under the limits of the cooler. (140w, so nearly 150% what your chips could produce in waste heat.)

yatys93

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2014

This could be an issue, I haven't got the room for a server case, it is having to go in a standard tower, not ideal I know but it's only for a personal backup and mass storage so 6 WD red 6tb will be fine :p

yatys93

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2014

I know that they wouldn't be harmed, but are they rated for server use? They aren't the best pumps out there, at least that's my understanding, I've got a H60 in my desktop now, and it's great, but I know the pumps tend to be the thing that dies on them.

Saberus

Distinguished
As long as the AIO is rated for a 95w TDP processor, those E5's will not be any more stress on the pump than any other processor. If you get AIO's rated for an i7-5820K, then you'll be well under the limits of the cooler. (140w, so nearly 150% what your chips could produce in waste heat.)

Solution

yatys93

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2014

oh ok then, that makes it easy then, thanks!