[SOLVED] Cooling isn't working?

DaronMal

Distinguished
I was wondering how my CPU would do with the Blender tests so I downloaded/started running them with HWinfo up and was thermal throttling instantly. When I switched to AIDA64 it smacked my CPU within 5 seconds to a throttle as well. I just recently switched PC cases so I don't know if this was happening before I switched but I don't think so.

I made sure I had thermal paste on there and it was good coverage, reapplied it anyway with some basic Cooler Master stuff I have. I also blew out all the fan filters and made sure all the fans were actually pushing air the correct direction, everything's fine. I'm currently running a 9900k OC'd to 4.9GHz and the cooler is an AIO Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i, all my fans are Noctua, and my 1080ti doesn't have any overheating issues. I'm sort of at a loss to be honest. Does anyone here know what in God's name is making my CPU suffer?

My CPU currently sits at between 40-45c when idle and hits near 86-90 or above when gaming heavier stuff like BF5 or CoD:MW.

Solution
I was wondering how my CPU would do with the Blender tests so I downloaded/started running them with HWinfo up and was thermal throttling instantly. When I switched to AIDA64 it smacked my CPU within 5 seconds to a throttle as well. I just recently switched PC cases so I don't know if this was happening before I switched but I don't think so.

I made sure I had thermal paste on there and it was good coverage, reapplied it anyway with some basic Cooler Master stuff I have. I also blew out all the fan filters and made sure all the fans were actually pushing air the correct direction, everything's fine. I'm currently running a 9900k OC'd to 4.9GHz and the cooler is an AIO Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler...
Cooler Master gel has only 1.85 (W/m-K) thermal conductivity which is poor compared to AS5, MX4 and Thermal grizzly. The difference can be 6-10C .

It is what it is when you Overclock a 9900k to 4.9GHz.
Check your CPU voltage and reduce it till the system becomes unstable then increase the voltage in ,01V steps till stable. You may have to also reduce your CPU frequency.

I feel more comfortable with max temps not exceeding 80C however you current temps are acceptable at idle and under load considering the thermal upper limit is 100C.

Last edited:

DaronMal

Distinguished
It is what it is when you Overclock a 9900k to 4.9GHz.
Check your CPU voltage and reduce it till the system becomes unstable then increase the voltage in ,01V steps till stable. You may have to also reduce your CPU frequency.

I feel more comfortable with max temps not exceeding 80C however you current temps are acceptable at idle and under load considering the thermal upper limit is 100C.

I actually dropped my OC entirely and it does the same thing, it just idles a couple degrees lower.

Well that's very weird cause bringing back to default should definitely lower temps under load. Unless there's something wrong with your Cooler pump or very poor thermal exchange at the HFC. (refer to my edit in first post)

Are you sure the pump is working on your H100i and you cleared CMOS to bring Bios back to default.

DaronMal

Distinguished
For some reason it seems to be better today. I've gone ahead and just ordered a new AIO and some MX4. I'm not playing with my CPU, if it's overheating I'll pay to make it not suffer and hope to god the cooling just wasn't adequate.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

I made sure I had thermal paste on there and it was good coverage, reapplied it anyway with some basic Cooler Master stuff I have. I also blew out all the fan filters and made sure all the fans were actually pushing air the correct direction, everything's fine. I'm currently running a 9900k OC'd to 4.9GHz and the cooler is an AIO Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i, all my fans are Noctua, and my 1080ti doesn't have any overheating issues. I'm sort of at a loss to be honest. Does anyone here know what in God's name is making my CPU suffer?

My CPU currently sits at between 40-45c when idle and hits near 86-90 or above when gaming heavier stuff like BF5 or CoD:MW.
For some reason it seems to be better today. I've gone ahead and just ordered a new AIO and some MX4. I'm not playing with my CPU, if it's overheating I'll pay to make it not suffer and hope to god the cooling just wasn't adequate.
1)If applied correctly - which isn't hard to do, the difference between the good pastes is bloody tiny - insignificant.
Thermal paste's role is that of a bridge; it's the heatsink/radiator, fans, and liquid flow doing the real work.

2)Liquid coolers are just hybrid air coolers. They are just as dependent on good airflow - perhaps more so, than air coolers, so I hope you don't have the CLC's fans up against some solid panel...
We don't know what your chassis is, nor how your fans and radiator are set up.

3)240mm AIOs/CLCs aren't adequate for pushing the 9900K at all. Even the NH-D15 can't deal with it. Some evidence here.
You should be using a performance 280mm or performance 360mm on the 9900K if you want to push it.
I keep saying performance, because there are models focused on either that, or silence. The silence-focused ones are just that, but they sacrifice fan power to maintain the silent profile, and they are worse than smaller performance rads and some air coolers.
Not recommended for overclocking with. The Corsair H150i Pro, for example? Avoid it. It would do worse than say, their H115i Pro.

Solution