Question Cooling Issue is Back and I am Confused

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 7, 2021
Good Morning All-

I have unfortunately been blessed with the same cooling issue I posted in the forums on back in November 2021.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cooling-fan-concerns-with-ibuypower-pc.3733158/

Quick history: I have a prebuilt ibuypower PC which developed a cooling problem and loud noise associated with AIO cooling system. After multiple posts and excellent replies, I ended p changing out the stock cooler that was installed in the PC and replaced it with the Cooler Master Master Liquid ML120L RGB V2 . After installation, the temps went back down to around 30 deg C and seemed to be good.

In March 2022, I started to experience the same issues with the CPU temps, almost identical to what I had experienced previously. Strangely enough, the issues started after my son downloaded a gaming program called CurseForge and started to play Minecraft. The CPU temps went back up to 70-80 deg C on average. I once again tried trouble shooting, cleaning, and pulling my hair out. All nothing helped. Being super impatient, I changed out the CPU cooler again with a new Cooler Master Master Liquid ML120R ARGB Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler.

The temps went back to normal with no issues. Using CoreTemp, I kept an eye on it and everything was great. Then my son once again downloaded the same CurseForge app and played Minecraft. Teenagers = doesn't listen to anything I say. That leads me to the current situation:

• The CPU temps go down to around 50 deg C when the PC sleeps but when turned back on they creep back to between 70-80 deg C.
  • No viruses have been found or identified
  • The case is free of dust and debris
  • There are no identified updates needed
  • I cannot identify any programs running continuously in the background that may be causing this
  • Issue started after playing Minecraft and CurseForge usage
  • The program Dragon Center is still installed but not in use
  • The fan noise has increased due to higher rpm but no other noises have been identified
  • The CPU temps will not drop down to normal but stay elevated even when PC is idle
Additional info:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K @ 3.70GHz
Comet Lake 14nm Technology

RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)

Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z490-A PRO (MS-7C75) (U3E1)

Graphics: C27F398 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (Gigabyte)

Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WDS100T2G0A-00JH30 (SATA (SSD))
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 (SATA )

I am worried there is something else causing these temperatures to rise and stay elevated. I have a hard time believing the pumps are wearing out and need to be replaced this often. I am a computer noob but slowly learning. I thought I had this issue figured out.

Sorry for the long post and all the information. This issue is driving me nuts. Any assistance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 7, 2021
I'm assuming you're talking about the 'residue' these programs leave behind, and someone told you about CCleaner to get rid of that.

You can uninstall under control panel. The program's files should have an uninstall executable as well. Even if it does leave some dirt behind, it's broken and won't work without all the other files.

I uninstalled the MSI SK application and it had a surprising affect on the CPU temps. The went from an average of 70 deg C to about 45 deg C. The change was rather quick and unexpected. I am still reviewing all other other suggestions and comments to see what other settings I may need to check. There still seems to be something impacted the CPU temps but I have yet to identify it.

Thanks again everyone for you comments and suggestions. I very much appreciate it. This is the most patient and helpful website I have found for my computer issues and questions.

Nov 7, 2021
Just wanted to update this post:

It took some time and some digging but I was able to finally remove the Dragon Center software from the PC. There were several MSI files that were buried under my main drive under some strange file names. The complete removal of this software made a difference immediately.

I also cleaned out the PC to insure that there was no dust build-up or anything inhibiting air flow. As a final step I also removed the cooling unit from the chip, cleaned both the cooler and chip, and re-applied heat sink to insure complete coverage. When removed the coverage looked adequate but figured it was also worth a shot.

Over the past few days my idle CPU temps have hovered in the upper 20 to lower 30 deg C. I am keeping on eye on things but temps seem to be back to normal and stable.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I learned some new things and some very helpful tips. I appreciate you all very much.