Question Cooling issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jiraiyah

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
Hi I recently upgraded to a AIO due to temps I was getting on 7700k and now there worse let me explain I’ll list all parts at bottom
Stock no overclock on cpu

So I had a dark rock pro 3 cooler on my i7 7700k I started hitting 90c xmp on wasn’t happy so I upgraded to h150i RGB pro 360mm AIO which has very good reviews however now I’m at 100c if I run with xmp on and hit 90c with it off I’m not comftable building my pc or changing parts so I paid a shop to do it with cooler in total I’m close to a 400£ bill now with all issue I’ve had and I don’t know what to do I use the msi gaming pro carbon z270 board if that matters I’ve had bios updated the computer is pristine clean so it’s not dust I have haf x case it’s been very good in all pc builds I’ve ever had I don’t know how to overclock so it’s all stock I just want my ram to run at it’s marketed speed and not hit 90c in games with no overclock I thought this was plug and play

As I said before I don’t do any work on my pc I pay to have it done so every change costs me so I need help to save my bank balance I’m scared to break it I can’t afford a new pc

Now my plan is to buy a 9700k and I need a board that the xmp will work on it without being silly hot And I need a fix for this as stated everything atm is stock no xmp and it’s 90c in Jurassic park evo

Build details

HAF x cool master case 230mm fan intake front 200mm fan side intake 140mm fan rear exhaust
H150i RGB pro top mounted all fans set to exhaust 3x fans 140 or 120mm liquid temp 27c - 34c
I7 7700k STOCK
2x 8gb 3200 Corsair lpx
Corsair rm750x psu
1tb barracuda data drive
500gb Samsung evo SSD
Aurous GTX 1080ti open shroud cooler not blower style 45c max temp ever hit.
1x misc optical drive never used.
Windows 10 pro legal copy all updated
Completely updated every driver and bios

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I had an AMD x4 processor hitting CrAzY tEmPs like that, with a stock air cooler...turned out the thermal paste was just crusty... Changed it out, and guess what? 42C at idle. 52C loaded.
I agree with SgtScream...the only way(s) that CPU could hit those temperatures (100C) with that AIO, when an air cooler was maxing out less (90C), is if the "COMPUTER SHOP" (I will use this term loosely) ran that processor up (translation burned it out) before reinstalling any cooler, and/or did not remove the plastic on the AIO before installing it, and/or didn't use the right type (or any) thermal paste; and/or sold you a defective AIO with air in the closed-loop system!! And, to be BRUTALLY HONEST, considering that they charged you 400£ for the mediocre level and quality of work they did, only to return the system in the same non-functional condition without a solution, only speaks to their lack of skill or care. A "Professional Designation" DOES NOT Preclude MiStAkEs. It the REAL PROFESSIONAL that provides a solution that corrects the problem, instead of just excuses! And if it isn't apparent, due to their poor customer service, quality of work and lack of warranty...DO NOT BUY ANY NEW COMPONENTS FROM THIS SHOP, either!