Copilot+ PCs: all we know about the AI-ready laptops and exclusive Windows features

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Recall is a very big deal, and it's innovative. But... Cocreate is a paint plugin/assistant more or less, Studio Effects are webcam filters, and Live Captions is a translate tool.

A whole new tier of technology, that leverages Artificial Intelligence?
paintbrush effetcs
webcam filters
captions

?

enhanced web and file search

It's just minor improvements in fancy trousers, sold as cutting edge portable PCs. The hate and the hype are going to help sell these.

Not that they're not useful products but if this is a revolution, it smells less like fire and violence and more like damp wood and cough syrup.

RobBrownNZ

Commendable
Nov 1, 2021
I'm fully in favour of this, because it means there will be a period coming up where good laptops without Copilot+ are going to be discounted and I'll get a bargain. As for the AI features, it's not very useful to start with and Microsoft will screw it up further, so I'm happy to avoid it for a few more years.

Reactions: 35below0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Recall is a very big deal, and it's innovative.
It is just a new version of timelines. We had that in 10. Difference appears to be it can track non Microsoft applications, as I see mention of Firefox

At least you can control it
You can turn on or off saving snapshots at any time by going to Settings > Privacy & security > Recall & snapshots. You can also pause snapshots temporarily by selecting the Recall icon in the system tray on your PC and selecting the pause option.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...perience-d404f672-7647-41e5-886c-a3c59680af15

I see lots of people not wanting this on their current PC... not realising you need a co pilot+ PC to see the feature and very few CPU have that ability now. So they worrying about something they won't see until they upgrade.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So far only 3 CPU announced that support this feature and yet 1000's of videos making people think they need to swap to linux now to avoid it.

AMD 9000 Series doesn't support feature. I don't know what Intel plan for desktops but it would seem its just a laptop feature for a few more years... makes sense, they introduced Secure boot and TPM to them 5 years or so before they enforced it on desktop... need to have computers existing in market before you can demand it.

AMD do have a licence to make ARM CPU, every Ryzen CPU has an ARM core in it now but its just used to store the TPM. They also make some ARM SOC for embedded systems. So no real reason they couldn't make them. Its just a matter of desire.

So NO, You don't have to avoid 24H2 to not get recall. Its only available on brand new laptops and right now you need a Snapdragon one at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I don't know what Intel plan for desktops but it would seem its just a laptop feature for a few more years... makes sense, they introduced Secure boot and TPM to them 5 years or so before they enforced it on desktop... need to have computers existing in market before you can demand it.
And people still misunderstand Secure Boot. The motherboard only needs to be Secure Boot capable, it doesn't have to be enabled.
Every new motherboard will have it, so it's mostly a non-issue.
So NO, You don't have to avoid 24H2 to not get recall. Its only available on brand new laptops and right now you need a Snapdragon one at that.
qft

TRENDING THREADS