Copy Complete HDD w/ OS to New HDD and install on Different computer

masterwlf

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Hello, I was wondering if I could plug up a HDD from my other computer to the one I am using currently, copy all the files from this one on to the other HDD and install the HDD into the other computer and run it? is that possible? A simple yes or no. Or if it is possible, is it that simple to do?

I would like some help and steps on how to complete this with out annihilating both computers. Thank you!

-Masterwlf

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
you want to clone your hdd to another using a program like clonezilla (its free)

if you do this then you can not update using windows update because it will be illegal

before we start use clonezilla to backup old computer incase you do something wrong and break it then follow steps below

on your computer, hold start key and press "r"

this will bring up the run dialog, type sysprep

click on oobe out of box experience and click on restart then ok

this should remove your windows 7 serial key

now you can clone it using clonezilla, then copy it accross to new machine, activate serial on both machines and your done

(sysprep removes all hardware dependancies)

you will have to use a differnet serial for the new machine unless your licensse was for multiple machines or this will be illegal

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

garrick, that wouldnt work because the license key would be the same on both computers and would cause problems

masterwlf

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

Shanky, I would shut down this computer after I get the other one working. I just want/need to know the steps. If possible.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
use spsprep on this computer

this will remove things like drivers for this computer and leave universal ones on

this is the best thing to do before you move it to new computer,

then clone it by burning the clonezilla bootcd then boot of it, use it to clone your hdd to new

put new hdd in new pc then turn it on, enter serial key and it should work, and load all the drivers it needs

itserenity

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
No one has asked some important questions. Are the chipsets the same in the old machine and new machine.

An OS installed on one chipset will not run on a different chipset, unless they are very close enough and allows the OS to boot up enough to recognize the difference and replace the chipset driver.

Why anyone would not want a chance to make a clean system is beyond me though.

The license key here is of no issue. As far as getting things to work. In the 9 years I have been using XP Pro, I have installed my copy on 35 machines I have built for myself.

My suggestion is to build your new machine, install a fresh real FULL install PRO version of what ever you want, install the applications you want and migrate your data.

Even if I am not building a new machine... I format and reinstall about every 8 months to get a clean start. Windows just does not clean up after software installs and uninstalls as it should.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

the sysprep tools removes all hardware dependancies including chipset stuff, look at it on microsoft's website if you dont believe me

people use sysprep before the distribute an os

itserenity

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Well Hey... you learn something new every day....

But, to me, that would be a great tool when you re building like 6 machines for a client.... all the same...

I'd still want to start over with a fresh install given the opportunity!

fitsou

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hi i have 3HDD in my pc and the one that i have my OS is much slower than the other 2 HDD's.

i Want to copy the whole HDD to one faster. (i dont want to do a fresh install!)
it will be in the exact same pc..

what steps i must do?