Question Copying C: Partition from HDD to SSD without losing files on D: partition

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I'll be brief. I did something similar years ago but forgot about it. Is it possible to MOVE Windows partition from C to new SSD without losing the apps and data on the same HDD, so that I do not merge C + D, because is the same disk, I also want to know if you could then set the newly installed SSD to boot a windows through BIOS/UEFI? I remember doing it with some wizard program, but back then it was a MUST to lose ALL files (delete) from the Hard disk drive (both partitions) and setting the disk to a different "mode".

I hope someone gives a simple response, thanks.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Clarify please.

You have a C and D on your current hard drive and want to move C only to a new drive?

Or move ALL partitions on the current drive to a new drive?

Or?

A screen shot of your Disk Management window would help understanding.
Yes both partitions (C and D) now are on a HDD, I only want windows 10 (C partition) moved to SSD disk that will arrive soon, but i want to keep the second partition D of the same ONE HDD disk if that is even possible? Can I maybe then merge the C to D? Or must delete everyting on it and make it an unallocated space again and then make a NEW-OLD disk again, while files are copied from C partition of HDD to a new SSD.

Yes both partitions (C and D) now are on a HDD, I only want windows 10 (C partition) moved to SSD disk that will arrive soon, but i want to keep the second partition D of the same ONE HDD disk if that is even possible? Can I maybe then merge the C to D? Or must delete everyting on it and make it an unallocated space again and then make a NEW-OLD disk again, while files are copied from C partition of HDD to a new SSD.
Show Disk Management screenshot.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

BTW - what is the capacity of the new SSD?

Last edited:
Reactions: svorcs
Still not following you.

I understand that you have C and D on a drive and want to get ONLY C onto another drive.

Other than that, I don't understand.

Is D purely your personal data with NO Windows and NO installed programs?

If you want to get C onto another drive, D shouldn't be an issue at all.

Leave D behind on the old drive. Or delete it from the old drive. Whatever.

What is your ultimate intent with the old drive?

If you have everything on an HDD and have bought an SSD, I would think you'd want to get ALL of the HDD onto the SSD...a total transfer. But apparently that is not the case.

More explanation needed.

Cloning C to the ssd will not change anything on the old HDD, D will still be there.

Booting from the new C on the ssd will not make programs on the old HDD D partition work, you can try renaming partitions in disk management but that might still not work, going to the folders and running the exe file directly might work for at least some of them.
If you boot from the old hdd everything should keep working as before.

You can delete the old C partition on the HDD, after you made sure the ssd boots to windows even without the hdd connected since you already copied it, do not skip this step make sure it boots into windows without any other drive connected ,then you can merge the free space that deleting the old C created with the D partition and you won't loose anything on D.
Unless you have a crash or a power outage during the merging...that's why you always make backups before you try something like that.

Reactions: svorcs

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Cloning C to the ssd will not change anything on the old HDD, D will still be there.

Booting from the new C on the ssd will not make programs on the old HDD D partition work, you can try renaming partitions in disk management but that might still not work, going to the folders and running the exe file directly might work for at least some of them.
If you boot from the old hdd everything should keep working as before.

You can delete the old C partition on the HDD, after you made sure the ssd boots to windows even without the hdd connected since you already copied it, do not skip this step make sure it boots into windows without any other drive connected ,then you can merge the free space that deleting the old C created with the D partition and you won't loose anything on D.
Unless you have a crash or a power outage during the merging...that's why you always make backups before you try something like that.
Many thanks for this explanation! I'll keep everything you said in mind!

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Announcing! I solved the "problem" more like a challenge. I used the Macrium Reflect freeware to clone the partition C: (Windows) from a HDD to a new smaller 128Gb SSD! In a few easy steps, First connected the SSD, cloned all the partitions from C: and other tiny parts recovery backups from HDD to SSD, except the D: where the games and data are, then I disconnected the HDD, restarted the PC and C: disk was on the SSD! Hokus pokus, Then i restarted it again connected the HDD back, didn't even need to set the SSD as a main boot in bios because it was the only one connected before. The last thing i did was to delete the partition (Disk management) C: and extended the D: to C: so the whole 1TB is now the one partition with all the files saved on, I lost no data!

Thanks everyone!