[SOLVED] Copying from 4tb purple to barracuda 4tb

Nov 20, 2020
I have full 4tb purple hdd and decided to upgrade it and get rid of purple hard disk by getting another hdd so I've got 6tb seagate barracuda when starting to copy from purple to barracuda the time remaining is 16 hours is it normal copying 3.3tb in 16hours ???
Speed keeps getting low start from 120mb to 300kb and get high and then get low.... Zigzag and when stable still the time remaining is huge... Any thoughts??

My specs ryzen 3700x
Mb msi b450 pro carbon max
16gb 3200 ram

Solution
i have abackup games file for 1.26 tb its transferred to my new HDD tooks about 4hours...
now im transferring my steam library files and uplay, etc.. its 1.26 tb transfer time is 1day :D is it normal ??

well my steam folder is 3.8TB and contains 1,715,138 files, if most of those are small files then it will take a while. When i moved my folder right around 2TB full of ISO's of my old cd/dvd game rips it took a few hours. You can sustain a higher read/write with large files vs a lot of small ones.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The content you're trying to copy over will affect the time it takes to get everything moving from one end to the other. I've seen people move wedding videos that took nearly one day due to the file format that the videos were in.

Be patient, that's the only advice I have for you.

Reactions: Theking007x

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Let's see.

The sequential read write rate of a 7200 RPM HD is about 100 MB/sec. But files are not sequential, and in real life we can assume that the real transfer rate would be 50 MB/sec. But it depends very much the file sizes (photos 6 MB each and videos 4 GB each) give very different results.

50 MB/sec means 3 GB/min and 180 GB an hour.

Even in best scenario. It would be 100 MB/sec 6 GB/min 360 GB in an hour.

If it can finish in 16 hours you can feel yourself lucky.

Reactions: Theking007x
Nov 20, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The content you're trying to copy over will affect the time it takes to get everything moving from one end to the other. I've seen people move wedding videos that took nearly one day due to the file format that the videos were in.

Be patient, that's the only advice I have for you.
but how to know if my new HDD is not faulty ... HD Sentinel is enough??? Health 100% Performance 100%...

Nov 20, 2020
it will take a while, your read and write speeds will suffer if its a lot of small files.

I backed up my steam library a few weeks ago, almost 4TB going from a WD red pro 6TB to a Seagate Ironwolf 8TB storage drive and almost took a full day to do that.
i have abackup games file for 1.26 tb its transferred to my new HDD tooks about 4hours...
now im transferring my steam library files and uplay, etc.. its 1.26 tb transfer time is 1day :D is it normal ??

Nov 20, 2020
Let's see.

The sequential read write rate of a 7200 RPM HD is about 100 MB/sec. But files are not sequential, and in real life we can assume that the real transfer rate would be 50 MB/sec. But it depends very much the file sizes (photos 6 MB each and videos 4 GB each) give very different results.

50 MB/sec means 3 GB/min and 180 GB an hour.

Even in best scenario. It would be 100 MB/sec 6 GB/min 360 GB in an hour.

If it can finish in 16 hours you can feel yourself lucky.
ive transferred 1.26 tb of backups took 4 hours.. now installed games 1.36 tb needs 1 day to finish.. still normal?

well my steam folder is 3.8TB and contains 1,715,138 files, if most of those are small files then it will take a while. When i moved my folder right around 2TB full of ISO's of my old cd/dvd game rips it took a few hours. You can sustain a higher read/write with large files vs a lot of small ones.

Reactions: falcon291
Solution