Question Copying secondary HDD to new m.2 SSD. How? Help!

Jun 28, 2019
Hi,

I recently bought a m.2 1TB SSD and want to use it to replace my old secondary 1TB HDD. My os is installed on a primary 250GB SSD.

Can someone guide me through the steps to clone my hdd to my new ssd? I'm not familiar with terms like partition so the simpler the better. For info, I can see that my new SSD is unallocated in disk management (I don't know what that means but for some of you I think it will). I also want to use my old hdd for picture storage and stuff that I won't open often after the cloning.

Thanks in advance for you help,

Jaeger

Jun 28, 2019
Primary drive : Samsung / 850 Evo SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM) / 250GB
Used for OS and some software.

Secondary drive : WD / WD Blue HDD (WD10EZEX) / 1TB
Used for all the other stuff. A lot of games from steam. Other games not from steam. Other softwares. Picture, video, etc.

New drive : WD / WD Blue 3D NAND SSD M.2 2280 (WDS100T2B0B) / 1TB
Used for nothing at the moment.

Motherboard : MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5

Give us a list of ALL drives in this system. Make/model/size.
What they are used for.
What OS.
What motherboard?

For a secondary drive, you don't need to clone anything, but we'll get into that later.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, you're in luck.

That motherboard supports that SATA M.2 drive no problem.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5/Specification

It does disable SATA ports 5 & 6 on the motherboard, so if you're using those, you have to move that cable to one of the other SATA ports on the motherboard.

To use this new drive?
You need to nothing special.
At most, it will need to be Initialized and formatted.

Power OFF
Plug that drive in
Power up
Get into Disk Management
There it will let you Initialize and/or Format as needed.
It might say Unallocated. Right click, and "New Simple Volume".

After that, use as desired.
If you wish to move everything from the current 1TB HDD, you can do a copy/paste.
Switch the drive letters around so that the new drive is the same drive letter as the old drive, and Steam and the OS will not see any difference. (Except the speed, of course)

Reactions: WeltraumJaeger
Jun 28, 2019
OK, you're in luck.

That motherboard supports that SATA M.2 drive no problem.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5/Specification

It does disable SATA ports 5 & 6 on the motherboard, so if you're using those, you have to move that cable to one of the other SATA ports on the motherboard.

To use this new drive?
You need to nothing special.
At most, it will need to be Initialized and formatted.

Power OFF
Plug that drive in
Power up
Get into Disk Management
There it will let you Initialize and/or Format as needed.
It might say Unallocated. Right click, and "New Simple Volume".

After that, use as desired.
If you wish to move everything from the current 1TB HDD, you can do a copy/paste.
Switch the drive letters around so that the new drive is the same drive letter as the old drive, and Steam and the OS will not see any difference. (Except the speed, of course)

Thank you very much! I didn't expect to get help this fast. I will surely use this forum more often.