Core 2 Quad Q9650 temperatures are 70 Degrees at idle and 90 degrees at load, please help

xslabs.sai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9650
Mobo: Foxconn G41MXE
Ram: 8 GB Samsung 1333 MHz dual channel (DDR3)
GPU: Zotac GTX 1050 ti Mini
HDD: 500 GB WD Caviar Blue + 320 GB Seagate Drive
Power Supply: 450 W Zebronics PSU
The PC was working fine before.
The temperature is 56-60 degrees under 10% load.I am using the stock cooler (Cooler Master) which came with the Pentium E5700 but I upgraded to Q9650. Should I change the cooler? Will this temperature kill it?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
That just means the company that assembled the prebuilt used an aftermarket cooler rather than a stock cooler. The correct terminology is important because it's crucial to be precise when dealing with PC builds and troubleshooting.

Cooling is a simple physical process. As long as the fan is working, on an air cooler, essentially the only problems can be either incorrect installation (not all the corners down, no or poor application of thermal paste, etc) or a cooler that is inadequate for the task.

Without any kind of information from you that would determine if the cooler is inadequate for the task, the only thing I can guess at otherwise is incorrect installation. If you actually have installed the cooler and used the correct...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What is the actual cooler? A stock cooler would be a cheapy little Intel-branded thing, not a Cooler Master.

If the cooler is low-end and only designed to cool a 65W TDP CPU, it may struggle with a 95W TDP CPU. There's also a strong possibility that the cooler was not installed correctly.

xslabs.sai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
@DSzymborski Mine WAS* a pre-built and it came with a Cooler Master. I've confirmed that it's genuine. Also, I have installed the cooler VERY firmly, as it would litterally not boot up without it bring firm. Any suggestions? A brand new cooler would be out of my budget. Also, it is 56-60 degrees under 10% load. ANd yes, you ARE right about the 65W part. The pre-built came with a Pentium Dual Core E5700.
*I have upgraded every single part except the motherboard over the years.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That just means the company that assembled the prebuilt used an aftermarket cooler rather than a stock cooler. The correct terminology is important because it's crucial to be precise when dealing with PC builds and troubleshooting.

Cooling is a simple physical process. As long as the fan is working, on an air cooler, essentially the only problems can be either incorrect installation (not all the corners down, no or poor application of thermal paste, etc) or a cooler that is inadequate for the task.

Without any kind of information from you that would determine if the cooler is inadequate for the task, the only thing I can guess at otherwise is incorrect installation. If you actually have installed the cooler and used the correct thermal paste 100% correctly and the fan(s) are working correctly, then that would only leave an inadequate cooler, in which case you'll have to purchase one.

Solution

xslabs.sai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
Thanks, man! I will save up for the new cooler. Also, before upgrading the CPU (which was today), I haven't renewed the thermal paste for 8 years. But the E5700 had normal temps. The Q9650 I bought was used. Maybe somebody fiddled with it? Also, can you PLEASE tell me if it will die after some days using it at 80 degrees temps?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's not recommended; Intel lists the maximum temperature for that CPU at the integrated heat spreader as 71 degrees (and you'll get shutdown at 91 degrees, I believe). It may be fine hotter than 71 or die, it's just a matter of luck there. The hotter you get, the riskier it gets.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've been reliably informed that the thermal shutdown point is higher and I was referencing the wrong thermal numbers. While it doesn't change the general result of this thread -- 70 is way too hot for a CPU at idle and less heat is preferred - the referenced numbers should be hotter and I was incorrect.