Core 2 Quad Slowdown?

spyridontrilogy

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hello all,
I am hoping that someone here can help me. I recently got a new computer from a friend, and it's been running great. I got it mostly for my wife (huge Diablo fan, and she had to have Diablo 3; I'm generally a console gamer). I have been playing the old point-and-click type games I grew up with, but nothing too taxing graphically.

Recently I got Guild Wars 2, and while I know the game seems to have some issues, I noticed something: when I was running it, there was a correlation between my massive FPS lags (30-40 FPS down to 1-8 FPS) and my CPU showing what seems like strange behavior. In CPU-Z, whenever I was getting these FPS dips, my clock speed was dropping from 2.4Ghz to 310 mhz. Otherwise, it seems to run fine.

I'm probably due for an upgrade to MOBO, CPU, and RAM. However, I'd like to find out if there's anything I can do to solve this issue, since I won't be able to afford the upgrade for a few months at least.

Specs as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz
MSI P6N SLI Mobo
EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti 2GB
4GB (4x1GB) G. Skill DDR2 6400
Thermaltake ToughPower 700W PSU

If I need to add anything, please let me know. And thanks in advance for any help.
PS While I'm sure it's painfully obvious, I'm new to PC gaming; for that matter, I'm new to having an actual PC. Haven't had one since I was a kid, and I'm still trying to learn about all the terminology and such.

spyridontrilogy

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Thank you both. I'm glad I tried that...it's hitting 90C on those framerate dips, then dropping back down to 60C. Could that be what's causing it?

InvalidError

Titan

If the fan frame has deformed over time, re-seating will not work for very long if at all.

I tried re-seating mine three times after my CPU started exhibiting thermal throttling three years after initial install, never helped for more than a week.

I simply replaced my no longer usable stock HSF with a Hyper 212+.

spyridontrilogy

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Wow, I may look into that one. Especially for the price...

This one was with the PC, I didn't buy it, but I think i'm going to try reapplying the thermal paste and checking to ensure it's connected well first.

Does the motherboard have to be removed to do something like this?

spyridontrilogy

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Well that terrifies me...I haven't ever actually taken it out before. I'm going to have to learn eventually, I suppose.

spyridontrilogy

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I meant to reply sooner, but thanks to all of you for your help! Turns out that, when I removed the fan, there was absolutely no thermal paste left on it (I think the previous owner never changed it). When I put on new thermal paste and put everything back, my pc is now idling at 39C and topping out at ~59C on Guild Wars 2. Runs great, and I never would have thought to look if not for all of you.

InvalidError

Titan
Thermal paste contains either zinc oxide, aluminum oxide, graphite or other finely ground solids as the 'active' ingredient. This stuff does not magically disappear so unless there was some sort of divine intervention, there simply never was anything there to begin with since the last time it was put on.

spyridontrilogy

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Well as to that, I have no idea. As I said, I bought the PC off of someone, so I don't know if they never put it on in the first place, though I cannot imagine why they wouldn't. But there was definitley not any there now.

Perhaps divine intervention is the cause. :sol: