Question Core i-7 2nd gen VS Core-i3 or i5 newer gen

Oct 24, 2024
Hi
I'd try to elaborate topic here.
Is it possible to compare CPU's proficiency of Old CPU and Newer Generation for specific intention like Networking and simulating Network software .
To give more details, If core i-7 (2630QM) could be working fine in a specific manner as mentioned previously regardless of RAM. Would this indicate that a newer generation of CPU like core i-3 or core i-5 of (7th , 8th , 9th , 10 th) Generation could have the same function for this purpose as the old one(2630QM)?
Thank you

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is it possible to compare CPU's proficiency of Old CPU and Newer Generation for specific intention like Networking and simulating Network software .
Possible? Yes.

However, you need to define parameters 1st.

Like, what kind of network sim software exactly? Since there are many.
Top 10 best listed here: https://www.pynetlabs.com/top-most-popular-network-simulation-tools/

Once you have the software, then you can look up how different CPUs fare using it.

For example: Cisco CCNP R&S Labs would result this answer,
link: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/question/0D53i00000nw8xtCAA/ccnp-rs-labs-and-cpuram-requirements

Whereby Intel Core i5 or i7 is suggested. Or even workstation/server build.

To give more details, If core i-7 (2630QM) could be working fine in a specific manner as mentioned previously regardless of RAM. Would this indicate that a newer generation of CPU like core i-3 or core i-5 of (7th , 8th , 9th , 10 th) Generation could have the same function for this purpose as the old one(2630QM)?
i7-2630QM is laptop CPU. Any desktop, especially newer generation would be FAR better. Much faster compute, more RAM support, faster RAM support etc. Only hindrance would be if the network sim software is 32-bit and only runs on 32-bit OS. Since all latest OSes are 64-bit. Still, later network sim programs would be more versatile with better/faster results. So, i don't think there would be any reason why to keep using that ancient laptop for that task.

For CPU raw performance comparison, i7-2630QM vs e.g i5-14600K,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-14600K/2729vs4153

Well, there is no comparison.

Reactions: xilin_0

triplex1

Prominent
Jun 2, 2024
i7-2630QM is laptop CPU. Any desktop, especially newer generation would be FAR better. Much faster compute, more RAM support, faster RAM support etc. Only hindrance would be if the network sim software is 32-bit and only runs on 32-bit OS. Since all latest OSes are 64-bit. Still, later network sim programs would be more versatile with better/faster results. So, i don't think there would be any reason why to keep using that ancient laptop for that task.
Because I happen to have an "ancient" laptop, as you call it, in my possession and I have put a 2720QM in it, I inform you that it continues and is doing great until today and there is no reason to change it (Linux will be introduced after 1 year)The only downside is its graphics, which are corrected with an external graphics card, so nothing is 'ancient' in today's age.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have put a 2720QM in it, I inform you that it continues and is doing great until today
For a low performance task, even Core 2 QX6700 would do. Given that it actually works.

i7-2630QM and i7-2720QM were released Q1 2011. That's nearly 14 years old CPUs you have.
In CPU world, anything over 5 years is old and anything over 10 years is ancient. (Though, some may argue that anything over 2 years is old.)

I inform you that it continues and is doing great until today and there is no reason to change it (Linux will be introduced after 1 year)
Then why ask about it and make this topic of yours? :unsure:

Oct 24, 2024
Like, what kind of network sim software exactly? Since there are many.
Top 10 best listed here: https://www.pynetlabs.com/top-most-popular-network-simulation-tools/
Thank you for your response
Simultaneously using GNS3 in conjunction with VMware Workstation, which runs several ISO files and requires at least 4 to 16 GB of RAM, or even up to 32 GB. and Yes EVE-NG
. However, I recall seeing an appliance (though I cannot remember its name) that would only function with a minimum of an Intel Core i5 processor. and some virtualization features on Intel processor.

For CPU raw performance comparison, i7-2630QM vs e.g i5-14600K,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-14600K/2729vs4153

Well, there is no comparison.
:DIt would have been better to ask a simpler question; that was my mistake. Will the Intel Core i5 8th Generation (Laptop CPU) perform similarly in functionality and performance for networking simulation purposes as the 2nd Generation Core i7? Please note that I am not referring to design, rendering, gaming, or graphics—just network simulation.

Oct 24, 2024
Because I happen to have an "ancient" laptop, as you call it, in my possession and I have put a 2720QM in it, I inform you that it continues and is doing great until today and there is no reason to change it (Linux will be introduced after 1 year)The only downside is its graphics, which are corrected with an external graphics card, so nothing is 'ancient' in today's age.
Yes it's doing great .

Oct 24, 2024
If someone can meet their needs with an Intel Core i5, why pay more for a higher-level processor like the Core i7 or Core i9?
As far as I know, most network appliances, simulators, and emulators require a significant amount of RAM, regardless of the CPU's specifications. I have heard that an Intel Core i5 processor is generally sufficient for most of these applications.
My thread has been about If someday I decide to get a new laptop, between newer CPU generation of i-5 and i-7 can i-5 satisfy and fulfill my requirement?I think so.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm OP not him, he tells me this CPU model still works great.
Now looking the topic, i see that i made an error. :eek: Somehow, i messed up OP and another person (i guess it's not the best when replying while sleepy.). My bad.

However, I recall seeing an appliance (though I cannot remember its name) that would only function with a minimum of an Intel Core i5 processor. and some virtualization features on Intel processor.
Your current CPU does have virtualization (VT-x) and virtualization with extended page tables (EPT);
specs: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2630qm-processor-6m-cache-up-to-2-90-ghz.html

But compared to desktop CPUs, e.g my i5-6600K, your CPU doesn't have virtualization for directed I/O (VT-d), what my CPU has,
specs: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...r-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz/specifications.html

So, if you do need VT-d, then yes, new CPU is needed.

It would have been better to ask a simpler question; that was my mistake. Will the Intel Core i5 8th Generation (Laptop CPU) perform similarly in functionality and performance for networking simulation purposes as the 2nd Generation Core i7? Please note that I am not referring to design, rendering, gaming, or graphics—just network simulation.
Compute speed is faster with newer CPU. Also, newer CPU can be less error prone (given that software doesn't produce errors).

E.g specs comparison between i7-2630QM vs i5-8300U,
link: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=134876,52219

And newer CPU can have features what older doesn't have. Like the VT-d, which your CPU doesn't have, but what i5-8300U has.

If someone can meet their needs with an Intel Core i5, why pay more for a higher-level processor like the Core i7 or Core i9?
Two reasons:
Beefier CPU usually has more cores/threads (and/or higher frequency), thus computing the tasks faster.
And beefier CPU lasts longer before it is obsolete. Namely, work load on CPU rarely drops as years pass. Instead, it increases. Due to that, Core i7/i9 can last for longer before CPU gets so weak (slow), that it can't compute at acceptable time frame anymore.

But if the workload on CPU doesn't change during the years, e.g CPU computes 100 node network at all times, then yes, better CPU isn't worth the money.
But if workload increases, e.g you starting to compute 200 node network, then 350 node network, 500 node network etc; Core i5 in 5 years time may not be able to compute 500 node network at satisfactory speeds. Well, Core i5 still can compute 500 node network but it takes far longer compared to Core i7 or i9.

I have heard that an Intel Core i5 processor is generally sufficient for most of these applications.
Core i5 is a good middle option when it comes to CPUs.

On Intel side, from weakest, it goes like so: Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 and Core i9.
This is up to 14th gen. 15th gen Intel CPUs have completely new (and IMO stupid) naming scheme.

As far as I know, most network appliances, simulators, and emulators require a significant amount of RAM, regardless of the CPU's specifications.
This is true to an extent. High RAM amount is needed to load entire project to the RAM, for fast access to it's data. Since when project is larger than the RAM you have, CPU then has to delete old info from RAM and write new info in, which slows down the system (since CPU has to wait until new data is in RAM).

E.g Core i3 with 64 GB RAM would fall behind in compute speed (less CPU cores), vs Core i7 with 16GB RAM. But Core i7 would have to clear RAM more often (less RAM), which slows the entire system down. Thus, Core i5 with 32 GB RAM would be the good middle ground.