Core i3 3.06 GHz vs Core 2 E8400: Clarkdale Benchmarked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
ok, that clears that up, so socket LGA 775 is completely dead and its move alone time for anyone build such a rig unless its a EoL cheapo box (maybe thats where EL cheapo comes from :D)

still tho, I wonder if intel is aware what they are doing may have a huge impact on the not in the know crowd.... maybe more profit for them when all this is solid and every chip has IGP of one or another (please don't, or else we can't OC them as well), but loads more headache for end users if the OEM and mobo venders don't play nice.

also, if they are nelelthelmhm based, why are they not kicking but at the 3 Ghz speed in things like movie rendering? is there some cache related issues or other gimps that are not artificial? I mean if they are all similar then IF someone kills off HT and kills off 2 cores on an i7 (which I can do i guess for some tests) and run it at 3 Ghz then I would get these new chips?

P.S can you affect future intel naming convention by any chance? typing, or trying to type out the name of nehthelem is just a PITA!!!!

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
There has been some internal commentary on the suitability of the new naming scheme and its effect on consumer confusion, and I will admit it is not universally beloved, but really none ever is. The marketing/branding guys are paid to know what they're doing, and I'm a techie-- I'll let them do their job if they'll let me do mine, and keep my comments to myself. Except over beer.

As for the performance compared to Core 2 Duo, I think I'll wait until closer to launch before I get too worried about that. As I've said, I don't think the featureset differentiation between Pentium/i3/i5 has been firmly enough established to freak out about yet.

A die shrink is not always for a performance boost. Its mainly to lower power consumption.

Well, no decent bios/mobo, a higher old series vs a newer lower series, I see 8-9% , which is good, not great, but other than HT, its what weve already seen in the quads, just a lil better, with HT and turbo added.
If the HT adds anything to games using W7, as well as opencl and DX11, things could change.

G

Please the Bench here dont mean much. The E8400 is great CPU but it canot never outperformed the i3 540 if you use mobo with H55 chipset. This board provides full support for Intel's 32nm Clarkdale CPUs with an integrated HD GPU. It also provides full supports for Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM up to 16GB running at 2200+MHz (OC). With PCI-E x16 graphics interface, upgrading 3D performance will never be a problem.
Here is your BENCH !! PLEASE READ

http://www.guruht.com/2010/02/core-2-duo-e7400e8400-vs-core-i3-530-vs.html

Hanz

Please the Bench here dont mean much. The E8400 is great CPU but it canot never outperformed the i3 540 if you use mobo with H55 chipset. This board provides full support for Intel's 32nm Clarkdale CPUs with an integrated HD GPU. It also provides full supports for Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM up to 16GB running at 2200+MHz (OC). With PCI-E x16 graphics interface, upgrading 3D performance will never be a problem.
Here is your BENCH !! PLEASE READ

http://www.guruht.com/2010/02/core-2-duo-e7400e8400-vs-core-i3-530-vs.html

Hanz
necroceline.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.