[SOLVED] Core i3-7100 question

Feb 1, 2020
Hi all,

quick question regarding the upgrading on a Core i3-7100! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

so, my young son wanted a first system. I picked up a Lenovo Y520 desktop for a bargain price, and after a good clean, the system is running well For what it is.

currently it has a Core i3-7100 with a GTX 1050ti - it’s actually playing anything he wants to play, to a level he’s seemingly happy with. HOWEVER, I had thought about swapping out the CPU for something with a little bit more grunt.

my question is; will the machine support swapping out the i3-7100 for something like an i5-7600k or even an i7-7700k on the original board? from what I can see they all share the same socket type. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Solution
Anything else I need to be aware of?
Possible custom bios restrictions from the OEM(Lenovo, in this case) of the PC.

From Intel's end, the 7700K should be compatible with that board. But the OEM(Lenovo), may have excluded the 7700K, but not the 7700(non-K), which appears to be the case from what I could find.

But if the current cpu is delivering satisfactory performance, then there may be no real need to change it... yet.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Anything else I need to be aware of?
Possible custom bios restrictions from the OEM(Lenovo, in this case) of the PC.

From Intel's end, the 7700K should be compatible with that board. But the OEM(Lenovo), may have excluded the 7700K, but not the 7700(non-K), which appears to be the case from what I could find.

But if the current cpu is delivering satisfactory performance, then there may be no real need to change it... yet.

Reactions: DayVe3000
Solution