core i3 build STILL terrible after adding ram

al7amdulilah

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
Originally I posted this. And I was told to add another stick of the same ram. I did that, and the computer is still terrible, unable to run league of legends on even the lowest settings. (CPU now has 8 Gig Ram)

''I recently built a CPU (My first build) and I'm pretty disappointed in the performance.
Here is the hardware:

-Ballistix Sport LT 4GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS4G4D240FSE (Red)

-Intel BX80677I37100 7th Generation Core i3-7100 Processor

-Gigabyte GA-H110M-A LGA1151 Intel H110 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard

-EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

-LG Electronics 24X Internal SATA without Software, Super Multi with M-Disc Support, DVDRW, Black

-Western Digital 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM SATA III 64MB Cache Desktop Hard Drive (Blue)

-Rosewill Challenger S Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 Gaming OC 2GB Graphic Cards GV-RX550GAMINGOC-2GD

-Windows 10 64x

I can hardly multi-task (Having a few browsers open makes the whole system choppy. Any programs cause lag), let alone play a game like CIV-5 or even small Indi games on even the lowest graphics.

So I'm just wondering if this is normal and I picked the pieces wrong, or if something isn't right. Thanks.''

settings.

Solution
That kinda amazes me, your rig is much more than enough to run league...

I didn't see anyone talking about this, so here goes my fifty cents. Did you fresh-installed the newest AMD drivers for your GPU?
No, that's not normal. The parts should be fine and run far better than that.

You may want to check that you have a BIOS version that properly supports your CPU, and update it if necessary; the H110 chipset was originally released alongside the 6th generation of CPUs.

You should also make sure that the monitor is plugged into the graphics card rather than the motherboard, and that the CPU and GPU are not overheating.

al7amdulilah

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

Alright, ill figure out what all of that means and try it out and let you know if it works. thank you very much.

Double check your CPU is actually running at 3.9 GHz. It may idle down to 800 MHz, but it should ramp back up to 3.9 GHz whenever it's under load. If something isn't configured right, (CPU settings, power settings, boot settings etc) can result in being stuck at the minimum speeds. See it a lot with new builds.

By all means, this rig should work smooth as butter in general operations and e-sports titles.

With such general slowdowns everywhere, and provided the temps are OK, the culprit is usually a single component failing or having other issues (like drivers). I have most commonly seen this happen with failing hard drives having bad sectors or faulty hdd controllers - even when they were not system drives, they would heavily slow down the entire rig. Other cause can be RAM stick you used from the start.

I'd start by opening event viewer (system section) in your control panel / administrative tools and then check if they are any red crossmarks with errors, especially if they mention "disk" or "NTFS".

If so, test with a different HDD if you can, and try to use a different cable and/or connect it to a different SATA port.

Make absolutely sure that you have the latest chipset drivers for your mobo installed.

As for your RAM, try to remove the original stick, and only use your new stick.

You might also consider SSD for your system drive. Especially if your HDD proves to be problematic.

al7amdulilah

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss updating the amd driver with the amd driver updater tool from their website worked. everything running A1 now. Thank you everyone. Thanks manddy.