Core i3 or Phenom X4 965

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cryosin

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I am upgrading my rig for Planetside 2. I have an old 8800GTX which might work, but i definitely need a CPU/RAM upgrade.

I was searching around and saw that both the Core i3 540 and the Phenom X4 965 where retailing at $119. I was looking at the $100-$120 price range, and it seems to me that the 965 is a better choice here.

This machine is going to be a dedicated gaming machine, my laptop is for other work.

I like the 965 because the benchmarks are close to identical, but having 4 cores might pay off later. However, Planetside 2 developers are working together with Intel to develop tools. Would this effect my performance on an AMD chip?

I STILL play planetside 1, so ill be playing planetside 2 a lot and almost exclusively.

What do you guys recommend?

Solution
i3-2100 uses the socket 1155 which has the highest upgrade path than the AM3/+ socket. If you are willing to wait 2 weeks, we can see what ivybridge i3's bring us and you can decide from there.

Upgrade paths with the i3-2100:
i3-2100 to SB i5
i3-2100 to SB i7
i3-2100 to IB i3
i3-2100 to IB i5
i3-2100 to IB i7

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
not quite. In a perfect world yes, but there is a hidden "feature" inside cpus. the cpu ID or string defines what a cpu can do. It also shows what brand the cpu is. Intel used this to their advantage and wrote their compiler to ignore AMD cpus.

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/01/04/intel-forced-to-provide-a-compiler-that-isnt-crippled-for-amd-processors/

When that program encountered an AMD cpu, SSE lines of code for example were re-routed.

Its not so much of an issue of whether or not the game is coded for an Intel chip, its more an issue of whether or not its coded to use more than 2 cores So, in this case a quad core Phenom II x4 doesn't have an advantage over the i3 in this case, since only 2 of the 4 cores are being called into action. Now, heres the kicker, if you were to be multitasking, lets say you're playing a 2 core game in on one monitor, and surfing the web on the other, then here is a place the i3 will reveal its inherent weakness to a quad core.

Now, games and programs are slowly beginning to be coded to use 4 cores. When this becomes more commonplace, a dual core i3 is going to be left behind.

That actually makes sense. And while I know Intel has done some shady back-hand deals with equally shady companies like Dell in order to take the CPU market, thats an interesting read.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I think we are all quite bored of you posting this same thing in every damn CPU post concering AMD.
Why do you not try and be productive and help the OP instead of flaming over brands.
funny thing is even after people know about it, they think its fake and don't want to hear it. :cry: lalalalala not listening lalalalalalala :cry:

http://game-on.intel.com/eng/games/default.aspx
http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/gaming/overclocking/games-optimized-for-intel.html

and you said
Most of the games where the i3 wins are not intel games.

but yet thats nearly all the games that run sooo much better on the I3.

The rest can be found on this list for another Intel owned software engine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_(software)

Yup...
He is on a pointless mascarade to try and stop folk buying into intel.
Check out all threads with him in containing intel and AMD CPU discussion...
Well, I wont lie, part of the reason I didn't go with Intel for this build is partly but not entirely based on the illegal tactics Intel used in the past few years. I don't like Microsoft either, but at least I have an option when choosing a CPU. I dual boot Ubuntu on this rig after running it exclusively for 4 years on my old Dell 8200, unfortunately I have a lot of compatibility problems for certain things, and while there is almost always a work-around, it becomes a hassle at times. The only reason I have Windows7 now is because I got it for free through my college, I wouldn't have bought it.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

what does that have to do with ANY amd chip running slower than the I3 even when running 4.0 ghz PII to a 3.0 ghz or slower I3?

In theory, theres nothing wrong with the Bulldozer architecture as I understand it, EXCEPT that no op system can effectively use it. That was stupid. Especially when your competitor is nailing you 5 to 1 in the market. You produce something that you can sell, not roll the dice and see if you can make something and expect Microsoft, the dominating Operating system manufacturer to change their coding around so their product can work with yours.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
You brought the FX 8120, so you will feel need to rant about how good they are.
I think we all can realise right now that you hate intel.
Don't rage on the net and try bringing in past events between 2 companies.
That has nothing to do with the thread in the 1st place.
I was just answering a question that was asked

A 3 Ghz core-i3 can beat a phenom ii x6. But how ?

really had little to do with BD itself, but more any AMD chip. In fact in this thread I never even brought up BD.

Easy, they could have improved on the K10 architecture instead of scrapping it entirely for Bulldozer. In short, Phenom IIIs.

1100T can hold its own with SB i5. There was mileage left on that tire if you ask me.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I couldn't be happier with this cpu. How many people have actually tried using it? All I see are people with intel cpus bashing how bad AMD cpus are. one of my rl friends bought an I3 with a 560ti. Even with one 6970, I run circles around his system, especially when tabbing out to check e-mail or bringing up an information page about a specific encounter.

Does that change anything about the fact that GAMES are coded for Intel cpus? Should we just live in a dark cave and believe that there is nothing wrong with the world as a whole?

Intel was told to stop cheating the system, have they? only time will tell.

only problem you have with me is the fact that I am running a BD chip and you think thats stupid. so be it, you haven't tried it, you can only believe what the media wants you to believe.

I can tell you for a fact that the results are non-typical for the way my system is running compared to what they posted.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I never said the CPU itself is bad.
I am talking about you bringing up things that have nothing to do with the thread.
You do this in most threads you exist in.
and yet all I did was answer another question that was brought up, then someone starts in on me for doing so with

I think we are all quite bored of you posting this same thing in every damn CPU post concering AMD.
Why do you not try and be productive and help the OP instead of flaming over brands.

one post and I am flaming over brands.

if you want to see me flaming over brands, watch me bash the fk out of the fx 4xxx cpus. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332165-28-intel-nvidia#t2509808

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Cheers for that.
Get your facts right.
Where have i once been incorrect in what i have said in this thread.
When your done reading through i wil invite you to more of Noob2222's threads and let you decide.

Ever since you attacked him earlier on the last page, this thread has been OT for too long..

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
so its ok to go around spouting intel on every thread, but not ok to go around letting everyone know why intel is far superior.

Multi-GPU becomes a huge difference, where the 2500k smashed the 8 core FX.

instead people should be forced to believe that intel is "just better because I said so". Truth is there is a reason why.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
haven't we been over this? what only you are allowed to go off topic? I was answering a question as to why the I3 can outperform a phenom x6.

TWIMBP isn't imbedded into the game, physx can be turned off. totally different, not even close to permanently disabling efficiency features for "AMD"

Besides your the one that brought FX into the arguement, not to mention suggesting a 2500k 2 minutes after someone posted asking about the 8150. who has ambition of trying to tout intel on every single thread?

04-18-2012 at 01:30:12 PM
| BBCode

Hey, im looking for a cpu that can handle possibly two hd 7870's in crossfire and be able to handle the latest games.

I've considered the FX 8150 but i keep doubting it...

What do you think I should go with?

Thanks
------------------------------ -|Old Gaming PC|-
CPU - AMD Phenom 9550, Graphics Card - 9500GT, PSU - 500w, Hard Drive - 500gb, Ram - DDR2 1333Mhz 4gb.

Add a reply Add to the list of quoted messages

recon-uk 04-18-2012 at 01:32:21 PM
| BBCode
| Hide

i5 2500k.
AMD is ok if you plan to stay with single GPU.

I love my AMD rig as much as i do my SB rig.
But i will never lie.

Its hard to lie when you only know one side. have you tested the 8xxx with 2 video cards? why should my personal exprience be ignored?

Do you think I am lying because you haven't tried it? Do I go around spouting off how bad SB performance is? no i only share what I know, and thats what I have running right now. only SB cpu I have ever laughed at is the 2100 when people want it for BF3.

From an ethical standpoint, its disturbing that intel used such tactics to circumvent Capitalism. From a legal standpoint, it was anything but. The problem is, it really has nothing to do with this discussion.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
what proof? everything you linked showing intel being far superior is all coded by intel. Have I ever denied that fact? why shouldn't people know why intel is far superior part of the time?

seems you don't think its fair that people know the truth.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
lol, your one to talk, "will an 8150 work with this"
your reply - no get intel.

If you want my reply to the OP, go to page 1.

as for forcing crap down peoples throats, why is it your agenda to try and get everyone to forget about what intel did less than 2 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.