News Core i5-12600K Shows Strong Lead Over Ryzen 5 5600X In Ashes of the Singularity

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
I have a Ryzen 5600X and it does everything I want it to...same goes for every part in my build. When I bought the AMD CPU I knew that eventually Intel was going to make something better, the two companies have been leap-frogging each other for years. So, I don't give a crap who currently has a faster CPU.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
So all it took was a new generation from Intel combined with a bug in Windows 11 that specifically gimps AMD only processors by up to 15%.

Good job Intel and Microsoft!
considering Zen3 wasn't that available on launch & Intel releases every 6months I wouldn't count Intel out

Zen3 prices are garbage & Zen4 will be late next year

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Summary of this click bait article and so called benchmark leak: Alder Lake in Win11 + DDR5 beats the one year old Zen3 which is also gimped in Win11 and with DDR4.

Amazing!

Zen3 prices will drop, as AMD always did in the past with all Zen CPUs, even more so now with Alder Lake coming and with Zen3D coming in a few months too.

Zen3D will come first to restore order, then Zen4 in Q3-Q4 2022, before intel's next gen.

"At the time of the article, foxed.in had performed 13 Ashes of the Singularity runs on the Core i5-12600K, however, only one of them completed successfully. "

So... It's very fast, if it actually finishes? xD

"Look at that car go! it's so fast as long as the engine doesn't explode!".

I'm sure it's something else, but the way it was worded in the article makes it look like the CPU is making the test crash and, out of the box behaviour, that is not something I'd like to deal with. Is this going to be a repeat of HT gen1 where you had to disable it so apps didn't crash back then? Well, the writing is on the wall here. Early adopters are going to beta test this CPU for Intel, I think.

Regards xD

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
Zen3 prices are garbage...

And yet builders/users keep buying them...

By-the-way, when I bought a Ryzen 5 5600X it was 30 Euros more than the best i5...I bought it any way. If an iPhone would be cheaper than a comparable Android, I would still buy the Android...because it's what I want.

People are already beta testing Alder lake for at least a month though.
Should I interpret that as "Alder Lake is already on sale somewhere" or you mean that as "Intel is actually still testing it with a month to official release"?

Either way; after official release and, let's call it "general public access", these CPUs are going to be an interesting show to follow. As I've mentioned before: I'm looking forward to the quirks.

Regards.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
OS's already optimize threads based on best available core. It's hard to believe that the Gracemont cores would be picked given that, but I don't have a better theory on why there would be such a large gap in numbers <shrug>.

Makaveli

Splendid
considering Zen3 wasn't that available on launch & Intel releases every 6months I wouldn't count Intel out

I had no problem picking up my 5800X in Jan of this year.

And prices are at MSRP currently or just below.

Summary of this click bait article and so called benchmark leak: Alder Lake in Win11 + DDR5 beats the one year old Zen3 which is also gimped in Win11 and with DDR4.

Amazing!

Zen3 prices will drop, as AMD always did in the past with all Zen CPUs, even more so now with Alder Lake coming and with Zen3D coming in a few months too.

Zen3D will come first to restore order, then Zen4 in Q3-Q4 2022, before intel's next gen.

I always ignore leaks and wait for offical reviews. Right now all the tech sites are just reposting the same stories from the same sources.

Reactions: Krotow and Dr3ams

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013

Amazing!

It is debatable whether DDR5 has an advantage over DDR4 in gaming (if anything there might be a regression depending on the frequency and timings). Also, the scores for the 5600X are not done in Windows 11 but Windows 10. And the performance regression of Zen 3 on Windows 11 is up to 15% not necessarily 15% across the board. In fact an investigation done by Tom’s Hardware here shows the regression to be much smaller (and in 3 of the 7 instances instances there was even a performance uplift, one of it +4.8%).

As for AMD cpus being one year old this is on AMD, not on Intel. This is what AMD offers at the moment and will continue to offer until at least February/March 2022 (and even then it won’t be anything truly new anyway). And AMD is not dropping prices by much since they moved to TSMC. Ryzen 3000 still retails for close to MSRP (10% less at most) even though both the octacore and hexacore 3000 series cpus are losing to both 10th gen and 11th gen Intel parts as well as to AMD's own 5000 series parts. AMD at most will reduce the prices of 5000 series by 15% and even that will be in a firesale way during Intel's launch and then when they release the 3d cache parts. And you will have to thank Intel for that for forcing AMD's hand. Stop being a fanboy and realise that competition is good for the consumer. You should be wanting BOTH Intel and AMD to be at each other's throats. That's what pushes innovation and drives performance per dollar higher.

Reactions: jonathan1683
I have a Ryzen 5600X and it does everything I want it to...same goes for every part in my build. When I bought the AMD CPU I knew that eventually Intel was going to make something better, the two companies have been leap-frogging each other for years. So, I don't give a crap who currently has a faster CPU.

Right? I ran a C2Q 9550 until 2014. Then i got a FX 8320 until beginning of this year and got a 3600 (5000 series were no where to be found and the 3600 was the best in my price range). Each one (Going off passmark and not including any over clocks i had which i have done on every single CPU i have every owned since my P1 66Mhz) i doubled my performance and going to 3600 its not 3.5x more. The 3600 is the first CPU i have no plans to overclock because I don't need to. When i do renders or video conversions now, what took 40-50 minutes now takes less than 10 for H264 MP4.

Reactions: Dr3ams

mrcoolbreeze704

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Is it safe to assume that windows 11 was used for testing so intel could take some kind of lead against amd? Shouldn't have to even ask but knowing intel it probably was.

And AMD is not dropping prices by much since they moved to TSMC. Ryzen 3000 still retails for close to MSRP (10% less at most) even though both the octacore and hexacore 3000 series cpus are losing to both 10th gen and 11th gen Intel parts as well as to AMD's own 5000 series parts. AMD at most will reduce the prices of 5000 series by 15% and even that will be in a firesale way during Intel's launch and then when they release the 3d cache parts.
Actually, Ryzen 3000 chips dropped to well under MSRP prior to the 5000 series launch. For much of 2020, you could get a Ryzen 3600 for around $170-175 from multiple online retailers, and sale prices occasionally got down around $160, or 20% below MSRP, for a chip that was already a pretty good value to begin with. Likewise, the 3700X worked it's way down to around $275, and there was apparently a brief sale that brought it as low as $260. Only when the 5000-series launch was approaching did prices start to rise again, likely as AMD moved their 7nm production to the new Zen 3 chiplets. The 3000-series prices you see now are likely down to the limited supply of remaining chips, as I doubt AMD is still manufacturing these processors in any significant quantities at this point.

5000-series pricing was quite high for a given core count, though the reasoning behind that makes some sense. Their 7nm production was limited, and a lot of that had to go toward fulfilling their contracts for large console chips, and at least some needed to make its way into GPUs. And since their processors were superior to Intel's existing offerings, they knew they would be in short supply. And sure enough, even at those higher MSRPs, they were in such high demand that it was hard to find them in stock for months, so that was arguably a reasonable decision.

However, if Alder Lake regains the performance crown, which seems likely, demand for Ryzen 5000 chips will drop in the performance segment, as should their prices. As it is, the 5600X was already on sale for under $270 multiple times during September, and the 5800X has been pretty consistently available for around $390 for months, close 15% below its original MSRP. And keep in mind, AMD is still making large profits on each of these processors, and has lots of room for adjusting prices downward, as they don't really cost any more to manufacture than the 3000 series did. The updated "3D V-Cache" parts may allow them to better compete with Alder Lake at the high-end, but those won't likely come until a number of months later. And that still leaves existing parts in a position where they will need to be discounted. And if the stacked cache costs significantly more to implement, existing designs might manage to remain viable at lower price points.

Reactions: Krotow and VforV

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Hopefully with the known 15% issue, once real benchmarks can be run in the Tom's Lab both Windows 10 and Windows 11 can be included.

Can we also see some Linux benchmarks in the same mix?

Should I interpret that as "Alder Lake is already on sale somewhere" or you mean that as "Intel is actually still testing it with a month to official release"?

Either way; after official release and, let's call it "general public access", these CPUs are going to be an interesting show to follow. As I've mentioned before: I'm looking forward to the quirks.

Regards.
There have been leaks for a month or so, these leaks have to be by people that have them in front of them meaning they are testing them.
Also ashes was optimized for alder already and my guess would be that that took more than a month.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
It is debatable whether DDR5 has an advantage over DDR4 in gaming (if anything there might be a regression depending on the frequency and timings). Also, the scores for the 5600X are not done in Windows 11 but Windows 10. And the performance regression of Zen 3 on Windows 11 is up to 15% not necessarily 15% across the board. In fact an investigation done by Tom’s Hardware here shows the regression to be much smaller (and in 3 of the 7 instances instances there was even a performance uplift, one of it +4.8%).

As for AMD cpus being one year old this is on AMD, not on Intel. This is what AMD offers at the moment and will continue to offer until at least February/March 2022 (and even then it won’t be anything truly new anyway). And AMD is not dropping prices by much since they moved to TSMC. Ryzen 3000 still retails for close to MSRP (10% less at most) even though both the octacore and hexacore 3000 series cpus are losing to both 10th gen and 11th gen Intel parts as well as to AMD's own 5000 series parts. AMD at most will reduce the prices of 5000 series by 15% and even that will be in a firesale way during Intel's launch and then when they release the 3d cache parts. And you will have to thank Intel for that for forcing AMD's hand. Stop being a fanboy and realise that competition is good for the consumer. You should be wanting BOTH Intel and AMD to be at each other's throats. That's what pushes innovation and drives performance per dollar higher.
1. That test proves that on average Win10 runs better for AMD now, than Win11. So it does need a patch or more, because it should not be the case.

2. I'm a fanboy, but not a blind fanboy. I do want competition and do want both to fight it out, I just want AMD to be ahead a little and intel to still lose, because they deserve to lose more for what they did the last 7 or more years.
I also like that Alder Lake apparently is not a dud like Rocket Lake and will make AMD drop prices (which is the only thing I don't like about AMD's Zen3, their prices).

What I don't like is unfairness (like how Win11 is preferential to intel), I don't like clickbait titles (and bombastic titles) based on so called benchmarks, even worse - synthetic ones.

Until AMD starts doing the **** intel did, I will support them, or if they drop to Buldozer levels again, then I'll be forced to buy intel again. Otherwise I don't care for intel to win at all, just to push AMD and make AMD even better because of that.

1. That test proves that on average Win10 runs better for AMD now, than Win11. So it does need a patch or more, because it should not be the case.

2. I'm a fanboy, but not a blind fanboy. I do want competition and do want both to fight it out, I just want AMD to be ahead a little and intel to still lose, because they deserve to lose more for what they did the last 7 or more years.
I also like that Alder Lake apparently is not a dud like Rocket Lake and will make AMD drop prices (which is the only thing I don't like about AMD's Zen3, their prices).

What I don't like is unfairness (like how Win11 is preferential to intel), I don't like clickbait titles (and bombastic titles) based on so called benchmarks, even worse - synthetic ones.

Until AMD starts doing the **** intel did, I will support them, or if they drop to Buldozer levels again, then I'll be forced to buy intel again. Otherwise I don't care for intel to win at all, just to push AMD and make AMD even better because of that.
What did intel do the last 7 years other than to keep AMD alive by not releasing a CPU that would drop AMD sales to zero?

Also intel went out and made a new thread director for windows 11 months ago, this is not windows 11 being preferential this is intel doing its job making sure that a new OS has all the software needed to run their CPUs in the best way possible.
Apparently AMD couldn't be bothered with doing that.

Reactions: kwohlt and Krotow
What did intel do the last 7 years other than to keep AMD alive by not releasing a CPU that would drop AMD sales to zero?

Also intel went out and made a new thread director for windows 11 months ago, this is not windows 11 being preferential this is intel doing its job making sure that a new OS has all the software needed to run their CPUs in the best way possible.
Apparently AMD couldn't be bothered with doing that.
Much like nVidia, they're still strong-arming their supply chain and forcing "bundles" telling OEMs "or else". This is not even a secret anymore.

AMD should've went all the way with the antitrust lawsuit instead of settling, as I've always said. That was such a stupid move from AMD's management that time. Now there's no precedent to make nVidia or Intel play in a fair manner. This is also why nVidia may be mega worried about Intel GPUs, but I digress.

Regards.

AMD should've went all the way with the antitrust lawsuit instead of settling, as I've always said. That was such a stupid move from AMD's management that time.
That lawsuit was also about AMD selling IP they didn't own to glofo, if AMD chased that they would have ended up with no way for either them or glofo to produce anything until the end of the procedures which could have taken years to complete.
It would have completely destroyed AMD.

That lawsuit was also about AMD selling IP they didn't own to glofo, if AMD chased that they would have ended up with no way for either them or glofo to produce anything until the end of the procedures which could have taken years to complete.
It would have completely destroyed AMD.
That is not how I remember that lawsuit. Are you sure you're talking about the same thing here?

Regards.