Core i5 4460 stuck at 798mhz? After installing r9 380?!?

WhitePonyNZ

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster here.

Yesterday I purchased myself a nice shiney, new GPU. I purchased the Gigabyte r9 380 4GB G1 Gaming. I also purchased a CoolerMaster Hyper 212x CPU cooler.

I installed the CPU cooler first given that it would take me longer and be the trickier of the two. The install went off (relatively) without a hitch! (Curse trying to sit that thing straight, it's almost a two person job).

I plugged back in my OLD GPU, a GTX660sc for the sake of testing, and to at the same time uninstall my NVidia drivers, download new ones for my 380 etc.

I played Guild Wars 2 and CS:GO, and they performed as always. GW2 at medium settings in lower density areas was getting anywhere from 85-110fps, and obviously CS:GO was at over 100fps.

I checked my CPU temp using HWMonitor and it looked good! Min(idle) was about 35*C, which I was expecting a bit lower, but Max (LOAD) was only 45-47*C which is much better than my stock cooler!

I then uninstalled my Nvida drivers through the control panel add/remove program, rebooted my pc for it to take effect, shut my pc down then swapped out my cards, installing my r9 380.

The PC was unplugged, it was done on a wooden floor, I always make sure to ground myself etc.

After rebooting my pc, the card fans spun un, the leds were lit, everything looked great, and windows booted as usual. I then installed the drivers for my 380 (The latest ones from AMD website). Rebooted once again after install, then off to steam I went for a casual game of CS:GO.

I was shocked to say the least I was getting anywhere from 30-45-59 fps with a heck of a lot of stutter and what felt like mouse slowdown/lag. I knew straight away something wasn't right. I figured a bad batch of drivers, or maybe re-seat the GPU again.

I loaded up HWMonitor and the temperatures look A-OK. But then I noticed under "Cores" each of my processors 4 cores were reading "798mhz" min, value, and max.

I have reset bios defaults, I have changed my Power Plan and checked my Power Plan to ensure that min and max processor speed are set to the right %'s. I have tried to unplug my r9 380 (and uninstall drivers) and use the onboard video to see if it was the GPU causing the problem somewhere, but even on the integrated GPU it's still seeing 798mhz, no more, no less. Temps are fine.

I've done all I can think of with my somewhat limited knowledge, and googling for similar problems normally results in threads from people with mobile (m) versions of core i processors.

Last resort is a reformat: will that potentially fix it?

Thanks in advance for all your help!