Core i5-4690K Overclocking with H81-I PLUS Motherboard

Ohlins

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Is it possible to overclock the CPU listed above with the motherboard also mentioned above? I saw a video on you tube of a guy overclocking the Pentium G3258 on a similar H81chipset motherboard and was wondering it it could be done.If yes I have some other follow up questions:

1) Would I need a good CPU Cooler?
2) How much voltage and core clock would I need to set the i5 to, in order for it to be stable?
3) How much difference would I see in games?

Thanks in advance

Solution
The general answer is NO. That motherboard is for overclocking ONLY the G3258.

The announcement above, back in 2014 when the chips were released, is like the recent announcement of overclocking of non-K Skylakes or on non-Z motherboard. In both cases, Intel made changes and put the acid to the motherboard manufacturers to prevent this. Changes were made to Intel microcode, adjustments aoccured to the OS AFAIK, and changes were made to the BIOS, all of which prevented this.

If you have the right old board, running the right old BIOS, and the right version of the OS, you can still do it, but you are then 'frozen in time' and will be unable to upgrade any of those parts without losing this capability.

In simple terms it is impossible...
Yes you would need a good air cooler and yes you would need to up the Vcore from stock above 4.2GHz or so (see my sig). Every chip is different so there is no exact setting. You may need more, you may need less voltage than others at the same overclock.

And game wise, not very much difference, especially at higher resolutions like 1440p with ultra quality and AA settings as the load is more on the GPU. I see no difference on my 4690K at 4.7GHz vs. 3.9GHz (on all four cores) in Witcher 3 for example. But other games like BF4, Project Cars, and Grid Autosport, there is a slight increase by a few FPS....not worth it though IMO.

Apparently not.

"ASUS today announced that its H97, H87, B85 and H81 Series motherboards are able to overclock the latest Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition processor (G3258), 4th-generation Intel Core K Series ('Haswell') and new 4th-generation Intel Core K Series ('Haswell Refresh') processors. The combination of the Pentium Anniversary Edition processor and non-Z chipsets represents the best choice for mainstream overclocking, delving both great value and superb performance."

http://www.techpowerup.com/202196/asus-enables-overclocking-on-h97-h87-b85-and-h81-series-motherboards.html

Ohlins

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

So If I get a 4690K should I benchmark some games first while it's at stock and then overclock it a bit until I know it's stable and leave it there right?

The general answer is NO. That motherboard is for overclocking ONLY the G3258.

The announcement above, back in 2014 when the chips were released, is like the recent announcement of overclocking of non-K Skylakes or on non-Z motherboard. In both cases, Intel made changes and put the acid to the motherboard manufacturers to prevent this. Changes were made to Intel microcode, adjustments aoccured to the OS AFAIK, and changes were made to the BIOS, all of which prevented this.

If you have the right old board, running the right old BIOS, and the right version of the OS, you can still do it, but you are then 'frozen in time' and will be unable to upgrade any of those parts without losing this capability.

In simple terms it is impossible (really VERY impractical)

The only supported overclocking is a small adjustment to BCLK which might get you 100Mhz on a good day, with a following wind.

Solution