Core i7-2820QM: Sandy Bridge Shines In Notebooks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
simply stating that it the E-350 can perform similarly still doesn't address how similar it is in higher resolutions or a realistic quality setting. Or even in real life. It's a different market altogether. As Chris has often said, "Sorry your princess is in a different castle."

That said, he actually covered all of this in his original desktop Brazos review. And it isn't right in my mind to make that type of comparison anyways. On the i7-2820QM, it's a mobile CPU that is going into a DTR notebook and is almost guaranteed to have discrete chip. On the mobile side things come out as systems, rarely do you get to simply pick and choose CPU + Graphics. What is the point about talking about the graphic short comings on this CPU when it is certainly always going to be paired with a powerful GPU?

With the E-350, you are talking about nettops and netbooks. You won't be able to game anything larger than 1366 x 768 even at the most optimistic notebook configuration. So 1024 x 768 is a reasonable expectation given that is the resolution most often seen on the notebook side. Remember, AMD is hitting low prices with their 100 CPU/mobo combo.

The fact that the E-350 can compete at all in the same realm as a Core i5 on any game setting is highly impressive within itself, considering the E-350 is aimed at a much lower market. Of course the Core i5's will win out in the end the higher resolutions becomes when processing power becomes more and more of a factor in which the E-350's cpu simply can't match any Core i5 in raw cpu power, but it was never meant to either. It was to show its overall capabilities compared to the Atom and using a midrange cpu to compare it will showed how much capability the E-350 has to offer.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

True but I rather test those lower clocked i7 and i5 to validate that statement. I wouldn't want to make that an automatic conclusion of this article. This one is the second fastest of the mobile Sandies. The i7-920XM was the part it effectively replaced, and that was almost never seen outside of a discrete pairing.

Could the i7-920XM have been seen without a discrete GPU? I thought only the i5 (and i3) had HD graphics...

With Sandy Bridge, that is no longer an issue, since they ALL have integrated video.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

The same could be said for i3 Arrandale and i7 Clarksfield on the graphic side. Yet, no one would really make that comparison. They are meant for different applications.

On that note, Intel graphics has never been something to fawn over. AMD and Nvidia graphic card owners don't proudly proclaim that fact. Hell the Nile did better than HD Graphics. The fact that the E-350 comes close isn't surprising at all. It has a Cedar core. Having a computer that "beats" an Intel integrated graphics solution is basically a requirement at this point.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

You're right so that is a given. But the other half is that mobile workstations generally employ a decent discrete graphic solution. We don't see DTRs though with a measly discrete chip though. It generally comes with top tier mobile GPU.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Wow... I never expected such performance from Intel's mobile lineup. Sandy Bridge is a total home run. As much as some of us dislike AMD, I think they should stick around a while longer to keep Intel's prices down a lil bit, even though I am one of those silly enough to spend $1,000 on the i7 980X which is outperformed already by numerous Sandy Bridge processors.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]The same could be said for i3 Arrandale and i7 Clarksfield on the graphic side. Yet, no one would really make that comparison. They are meant for different applications. On that note, Intel graphics has never been something to fawn over. AMD and Nvidia graphic card owners don't proudly proclaim that fact. Hell the Nile did better than HD Graphics. The fact that the E-350 comes close isn't surprising at all. It has a Cedar core. Having a computer that "beats" and Intel integrated graphics solution is basically a requirement at this point.[/citation]

Clarksfield never had an intergrated graphics unit built in. Arrandale intergated graphics units were expected to be what they were. AMD's Brazo platform however is surprising in the way how it can compete in areas with markets higher then what its targeted for and smash the competition that it was targeted for at the same time, that's something AMD hasn't done in a while.

Vadim_79

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
The i7-2630 is down the ladder on the Asus N53SV and probably ran around 1k, but I'm sure vadim_79 can jump and share the final price tag.
I paid 1300$ for it
p.s. it's got a gf gt540m besides the intel hd3000

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Great. We're back to mobile CPU pricing circa 2001. I can remember spec'ing a dell laptop then, and changing the CPU speed by 200-500 MHz. The price increased by about a dollar per MHz, if not more. AMD was non-competitive in the mobile space at that time too.

The problem is, who is going to walk into a Best Buy or Walmart or something, and choose a $2000 laptop over a $1000 or even $500 laptop? That type of decision is mostly for the "money is no object" customers, and we are *not* in a "MINO" economy.

G

y the hell could intel not have just used the wasted silicone for the stupid IGP to boost performance, who the bloody hell buys a i7 and not have discrete gfx, that's money savings on a retarded level, a workstation class CPU needs to be paired with a workstation class GPU, otherwise it's not a workstation class CPU, it's just a fast CPU

I've never owned a laptop and am considering getting one of these. I have a great desktop at home for gaming but it would be nice to be able to take a PC with me anywhere I go.

Anyway my only complaint here is that you guys didn't compare other mobile GPUs to the HD 3000. I want to see how 310M stacks up against it, being as popular as it is.

G

Great analysis! I have to say that I have been wondering about what is up with Sandy M parts. The numbers just don't add up. I also thought it was odd that Intel held off so long on the dual cores. I have put forward the idea that Intel is actually using a different process on their mobile parts--32nm HKMG on SOI wafers. They have beenr rumored to be interested in this process. SOI lowers the power. I have read in 30% range, but that is a wild guess. IOW, everything would look normal except wattage would be lower, as all of the tests have shown. I noticed on some sites that there were rumors that Sandy M would dramatically improve battery life. This would be a coup because they could use it on their server parts, too, where performance per watt is critical. This might also explain Dirk's quick departure from AMD. If Intel pulled this off and nobody has figured it out, they will have a very large advantage. Good article!

[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]I'm really not sure that's the intention. Sure, it supports DirectX 11, but we all know that below the 5700 series, there's little point using it. The true strength of Brazos' GPU is slightly older games or ones that don't require masses of bandwidth because that single channel memory interface will strangle it in the end.[/citation]

Well, I have to disagree with you there... I'm waiting for the Lenovo x100e to hit the stores already (here in Chile), because I have my "gaming" rig to do so in full blown bling bling shiny happy colors, but I ain't taking that 20+kilo (44pounds) beast to a friends house and have a little LAN party, watch some videos (on the go BTW) and, yes, game with him. You can't do that with even a "super gaming" notebook these days cause they weight a friggin' TON and battery life doesn't exist when u want to game or do "funny" stuff on the go.

Small and handy for almost every task you throw at it; that's Brazos so far. That's the little big appeal it has on that price segment that Intel can't beat at this moment. That's why it's kind of important having in mind what "Brazos" stands for in the long run. I'm really curious about what Llano is going to do in the Notebook area.

All in all, Intel is just bulling us with price 'till Llano gets here. Damn you Intel!

Cheers!

[citation][nom]acku[/nom]Do you really want to play Call of Duty Black Ops at 1024 x 768 at low quality? I wouldn't ever want to punish any TomsHardware reader that harshly. Andrew TomsHardware[/citation]

Argh, sorry; I meant to quote Mr. Andrew.

Cheers!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Why ddin't you pit it against a 740qm or 720qm ? and no I didn't read the article, since it doesn't compare to that, so if you wrote it somewhere in there, sorry.[/citation]

Well the workstations that we can buy at work are limited to i5's and the 740qm (unless we want to go envy and other non business models), so for me personally that's the interesting one to compare to.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Wow, amazing specs from a mobile CPU. This just further reinforces to me how much I don't need the bleeding edge mobile power.

On another note, very well done Mr. Ku. Your articles are always thorough and excellent.

[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]These new Intel mobile CPU prices are a joke.I f_cking hate Intel with a passion.[/citation]
These aren't really any different than they've been for years...

Intel's had the top mobile parts at ~$1k, with the high end mainstream stuff at $300-500 for quite some time.

Amazing numbers.I remember the difference gap between the first Core "i" CPUs was notable between the desktop and mobile models but Sandy bridge has changed that.In some tests,they even outperform the desktop i5/i3 and perform close to the i7 2600k.

G

And what a joy Sandy-Bridge has as a background feature that everyone seems to be ignoring. I wonder what the potential savings on power will be when someone shuts it off remotely. No amount of power savings in the world is going to convince me to hand control of my cpu over to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.