Core i7-3720QM: Ivy Bridge Makes Its Mark On Mobility

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]fstrthnu[/nom]Would there be a noticeable performance gap between the i7-3720QM and the i7-3612/5QM? I'm trying to decide whether the extra 300 Mhz is worth ~$150 more (which I'm guessing not really)[/citation]

from other benchmarks that I have seen, there is not much of a difference,especially for that price.

PS keep in mind that these benchmark scores are at the level of current sandy bridge core i7 desktop CPU's

the lower TDP and greater efficiency of the ivy bridge has allowed then to to push much more performance into the mobile platform while maintaining the same power level. (PS they do run hotter on laptops but the performance boost is more than worth it)

assassin123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
what the best changes are occured in the world of computers since my exams was started there was buldozer and now the core i7-3720qm has taken the lead yay ivy bridge rocks

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Would have been nice to see a dedicated desktop gfx card in the mix just to get a gague of how the mobility performs compared to the desktop's. Nice review

chrismicro60

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Originally posted by David C1
Andrew, love the review. But there's what seems to be a big error. You said on the power usage tests that AMD defaults to max battery life while Intel goes to balanced? Looking at World of Warcraft results, it looks like all the other results may be running max battery life mode for the AMD A8 chip.

The i5-460M is faster than A8-3520M, just not that much faster. I have a feeling you need to run the application and gaming tests on max performance all over again. It doesn't matter for the Intel part as Balanced pretty much performs like max performance.

Yes you are right David! However the table is quite impressive.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I found it odd that that model of Llano was only so much compared to the Sandy Bridge HD3000. I thought that Llano laptops sold because they perform much better in GPU-related work for a price lower than what you'd pay for laptops with discrete GPU's. I thought if the comparison would've been better if they used the MX Llano models with higher TDP's and 1600MHz RAM (I bet it would help with GPU workloads 'coz of how the GPU uses it as its RAM as well) which they supposedly could use, though I remember reading in the mobile Trinity review something about not being able to use that much RAM speed even if it says it can and being stuck at 1333MHz. I read above about how it's unfair that they compared the A8-3520 to that i7 Sandy Bridge, I was also thinking that maybe the higher TDP (I think it has) and more CPU processing power of that Sandy Bridge could've come into play with the gaming benchmarks.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Woahh, Im really surprised about the performance of HD4000 graphics by Intel with these mobile IBs.
I was expecting them to be around Llano A8, but as explained before, the power headroom makes IB utilize the same power with higher benefits than a less refined APU process.

Still, we are looking into a difference from a Mobile APU, extremely affordable, with notebooks coming at around the 800USD mark VS an i7 notebook which, as far as i know, will be sold at around 1200USD or more

Maybe try these i7's against an APU A10 would have been more fair.
But still, my headlights:

-Mobile IB has an awesome power administration. Does the work quicker, ergo spends less power. Maybe not as much power saving than an APU, but its definetely worth it.

-Mobile IB improved THE HELL out of their IGP. Period. Yet, you can only get that performance from a high end chip. Lesser solutions wont be sure to have HD4000. That makes AMD still the winner in graphics performance, because a high end Intel chip like these will be together with a powerful dedicated graphics card.

-Mobile IB, as usual, does the CPU part of their chips just superb. Mathematics, coding and algorithms are performed faster now. We saw that in the desktop implementation against similarly priced AMD solutions (FX cpus) and against APUs they do not compete. To take into consideration, anyway, is that no one trying to do serious work (ie. mobile engineering/designer/etc workstation) should buy APU, for this tasks are intended to be done by FX or i7 CPUs. And another point of comparison, again is the huge price difference between the competitors in the graphs.

All this, from a guy in love with AMD c:
Cheers, and keep the objective talk guys, IB

dorathywoki

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
The architecture delivered impressive performance at the company's designated price points. And, thanks to impressive efficiency,

G

i have a question.i really mixed up,help me!!!
is the power of asus cpu's k45D(A8) between corei5 and cori7???

[citation][nom]s500[/nom]i have a question.i really mixed up,help me!!!is the power of asus cpu's k45D(A8) between corei5 and cori7???[/citation]

On CPU performance, it's more like beating an i3 in well-threaded performance while losing to an i3 in single/dual-threaded performance. For integrated graphics performance, it's better than anything from Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.