[SOLVED] core i7 3770 (non-K) raise multiplier on Q77 board

smtrejo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2017
Greetings!!!

I have a HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF with a Q77 chipset. I upgraded to an Intel Core i7 3770 (non-K). I've read that in order to overclock you need a Z77 chipset.

But I have found that somebody said this on another forum: "If your motherboard bios does not let you set those multipliers then try using Intel's XTU program." To read the full discussion click here.

Basically they say that using Intel's XTU one can modify the multiplier (for non-K cpu's) from 39 to 41 to boost from 3.9 to 4.1ghz on Turbo Boost.

Can this be done on my current settup? I know this gain is marginal but it could make a difference on an application I'm using that relies on single-core performance.

Thanks in advance.

* EDIT: I found that the Q77 can be CPU (Bclk) + GPU overclocked, at least I can confirm the GPU part. At the "Ivy Bridge family of chipsets" chart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

Last edited:
Solution
It's not really an OC, more like forcing boost all the time. To be honest I don't see 200MHz making that much difference in the grand scheme of things. Considering you are using a SFF where heat and power makes a big difference I wouldn't even bother trying. If you had a normal PC you could at least attempt it. But you need to be careful with thermals in your SFF.

4745454b

Titan
It's not really an OC, more like forcing boost all the time. To be honest I don't see 200MHz making that much difference in the grand scheme of things. Considering you are using a SFF where heat and power makes a big difference I wouldn't even bother trying. If you had a normal PC you could at least attempt it. But you need to be careful with thermals in your SFF.

Reactions: smtrejo
Solution