Core i7 3770(Non K)

Shindyo180

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I would like to know if the poor quality and inefficient Thermal Paste between the Integrated Heat Spreader and the CPU Die instead of a fluxless solder is exclusively present for the Unlocked Ivy Bridge CPUs or it is also present in Non-Unlocked Ivy Bridge CPUs

Solution
All of the Ivy bridge are manufactured the same wrt the IHS/TIM.

There is no evidence that the TIM will dry up.

The poorer interface to the IHS is in small part due to the TIM (people have replaced it with the best TIM only to get very little improvement) and more to do with the variable gap between the IHS and CPU die. It is also due to the smaller die vs Sandy bridge, which allows less contact from the die to the IHS.

The ONLY time this is noticed is when trying a big overclock on a K cpu, which could result in slightly higher temps than would be achieved with a soldered IHS, although their are many other factors such as the silicon lottery.

Therefore your non-K does NOT have an issue. I presume you came on the forum for an...

Shindyo180

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I am actually using an Ivy Bridge Non-K CPU so it means my CPU will be still in immediate danger because the poor quality TIM will dry up overtime and its thermal conductivity will gradually decrease.

leeb2013

Honorable
All of the Ivy bridge are manufactured the same wrt the IHS/TIM.

There is no evidence that the TIM will dry up.

The poorer interface to the IHS is in small part due to the TIM (people have replaced it with the best TIM only to get very little improvement) and more to do with the variable gap between the IHS and CPU die. It is also due to the smaller die vs Sandy bridge, which allows less contact from the die to the IHS.

The ONLY time this is noticed is when trying a big overclock on a K cpu, which could result in slightly higher temps than would be achieved with a soldered IHS, although their are many other factors such as the silicon lottery.

Therefore your non-K does NOT have an issue. I presume you came on the forum for an answer, several people have now answered with the same answer, are you convinced yet?

Solution