Core i7-4770K: Haswell's Performance, Previewed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
It seems like a tick-like performance improvement rather than the tock it was supposed to be. Performance would be better in some future workloads that make better use of extensions, but for what we're stuck with for a while it's nothing for Ivy Bridge or even Sandy Bridge owners to envy.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Chris!

Some questions I've been wondering about for a while:

1) What's up with the raised TDP? 84w, when processors with equal Turbo clocks and the same GPU, and the same GPU frequency, can go lower?

2) I made a guess-timate here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/19719-55-haswell-cpus/page-2#9437203 that Tcase for 84w Haswell processors would be about 73.5*C. Am i correct?

3) I'm assuming a higher TDP for the fastest desktop processors is to allow longer turbos and higher overclocks.

4) Core Temp 1.0 shows power consumed by the CPU itself. Could you compare the 4770K to the 4770S? Under idle and load?

Thanks.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I'm still wondering wether to hold on to my 3.5/4 Ghz Intel Q9550 or to get a non-K 2500/3570/4570.

Is it really worth it? Like, how much would be the improvements in applications and games in percentages?

johanpeeters83

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
if your mobo is damaged and you got lga 1156 cpu you screwed if you find one on stock you are better than google
no second hand also damm this socket shit marketing thinking about am3+ no kidding that`s backwards compatable a little bit right

Wow impressive numbers. If Intel decided to solder on the IHS instead of using the same thermal paste method as on Ivy, I would totally upgrade. Delidding is not something I wanna dabble in and I WANT MY 5GHZ!

VERY impressive GPU performance, although the rumors suggested much more. The TDPs are not as low as expected, considering that it has been INtels focus instead of gaining pure performance.

[citation][nom]johanpeeters83[/nom]if your mobo is damaged and you got lga 1156 cpu you screwed if you find one on stock you are better than googleno second hand also damm this socket shit marketing thinking about am3+ no kidding that`s backwards compatable a little bit right[/citation]

Wow, I could only guess what you were trying to say.

BUT the socket changes have made sense ALL THE WAY. It allows for lower TDPs for one going to 1155 to 1150. AMD can barely keep up on the CPU front, so spending time on a new socket is obviously not in their minds right now. AMD should have had a new socket AGES ago in todays low TDP striving market.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Nice preview. Looking at the numbers, we can tell that most of us with IB will not get the Haswell unless the final product has a great improvement for gaming and other applications and I am talking 15% increase. I, personally, will wait and see what they offer with IB-E or Haswell-E as I need the cores for work hence why I held out on SB-E only to wait for do long for IB-E to come out. Keep up the good work Chris!

Hahaha, A LOT, its not even quantifiable in that wide a context. 30-50% my guess...

You could have upgraded at Sandy already and seen massive improvement.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

1) There's an on-package VRM likely contributing to this, which used to be on the motherboard, along with a more complex graphics engine.
Don't have answers for the other questions--the specs at my disposal are pretty limited, and I no longer have access to the processor, unfortunately.

tridon

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]The nubmers arnt that stunning really , I'm more stunned by the fact that intel still has yet to release an 8 core cpu for general consumers. normally an AMD fan because of pricing , but i'd love to see what an intel 8 core could do. i8 any one ?[/citation]

I agree. I would love for them to be more daring and release an i7 (or whatever number) 8 core for us. And if they want to be scanty and drop hyper threading on an 8 core, I'll forgive them eventually.

If I remember correctly, the first series of i5 had some of the lower models as dual cores with hyper threading, and now all the standard i5 models are 4 cores. (By standard I do not mean the power saving models in laptops and so on) So Intel are _slowly_ evolving. I really hope that at latest when the generation after haswell comes that we will see the highest i5 with 4 cores and hyper threading, and the highest i3 with 4 pure cores instead of 2 cores and hyper threading. Give us something more juicy than an 8% increase each generation.

I'm a bit whiny I guess, but I continue hoping =)

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Novuake[/nom]VERY impressive GPU performance, although the rumors suggested much more. The TDPs are not as low as expected, considering that it has been INtels focus instead of gaining pure performance.[/citation]
Perhaps you were looking at the GT3 graphics rumors, this is the GT2 with half the execution resources and no eDRAM.

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Seems wasteful to saddle mid and high end gaming builders with built in graphics, even if the added cost is not very much. Did I miss something, or are all of these coming with integrated graphics?

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Seems wasteful to saddle mid and high end gaming builders with built in graphics, even if the added cost is not very much. Did I miss something, or are all of these coming with integrated graphics?

Well I had expectations that Haswell was going to be a huge upgrade over SB and IB but instead only a small bump cpu side. Looks like my i5 760 will have to make do for another year or two for a Good upgrade for the cost.

jesot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I was waiting to upgrade my E8400 system until the Haswell i5 chips come out. I guess I'll wait to see benchmark tests for their i5 HB chips, but I'm starting to wonder if it'll be worth the wait.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I wasn’t able to overclock the Core i7-4770K I tested—largely because that’s no way to treat a borrowed CPU.

Screw that. Send it back to them with scorch marks and just play dumb.

Seriously though, thanks for the review. Looks like I'll still be pimping my Q6600 for at least one more generation.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]killerchickens[/nom]Does Haswell run hot as Ivy Bridge?[/citation]

Ivy Bridge doesn't run hot in my experience. It's actually quite nice and cool because of the 22nm architecture. Do you own an IVB chip?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]boletus[/nom]Seems wasteful to saddle mid and high end gaming builders with built in graphics, even if the added cost is not very much. Did I miss something, or are all of these coming with integrated graphics?[/citation]

Ever hear of Lucid? You can disable the graphics.

EzioAs

Distinguished

In what terms exactly? GPU performance? It'll take a couple more years (I'm guessing at least 7 years) before integrated graphics to have that kind or power. Obviously, that "someone" is just trolling.

EzioAs

Distinguished

This is a preview, so...you know. If you put everything in a preview then there's no need for a review later. Maybe Intel doesn't allow those stats just yet.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]EzioAs[/nom]This is a preview, so...you know. If you put everything in a preview then there's no need for a review later. Maybe Intel doesn't allow those stats just yet.[/citation]

It's a major key advantage of Haswell, performance was never meant to be a huge leap.

We really need the OC numbers for the 4770K. I have an interesting feeling about the power usage.

Overall, good step up for the i series. Really peaks my curiosity for the BGA Haswell and GT3.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.