Question core i7 4790 + 1060 3gig +12 gigs ddr3 = good?

It's a pretty good system for $500. But a concern would be the outdated platform. It's good enough for now, but you don't have many upgrade options. The CPU is good enough for the GPU. And the GPU is good enough for modern AAA games at med-high settings. Is all the RAM in dual-channel? How many sticks and at what GB are they?

Mar 24, 2019
It's a pretty good system for $500. But a concern would be the outdated platform. It's good enough for now, but you don't have many upgrade options. The CPU is good enough for the GPU. And the GPU is good enough for modern AAA games at med-high settings. Is all the RAM in dual-channel? How many sticks and at what GB are they?

ram is dual channel, 4gb+8gb

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Location is everything, that's going to determine local prices and availability.

For just over $500 US$ in the US, you can get a decent B450, new Ryzen 2600 and 16Gb 3200MHz DDR4 and Rx580. So balanced against a $500 5yr old used non OC i7, single channel ram usage, and a downgraded 1060, then no its not such a great deal. But in Indo-Asiatic markets, that's a decent price for that stuff and the Ryzen build would be a lot more.

Mar 24, 2019
Location is everything, that's going to determine local prices and availability.

For just over $500 US$ in the US, you can get a decent B450, new Ryzen 2600 and 16Gb 3200MHz DDR4 and Rx580. So balanced against a $500 5yr old used non OC i7, single channel ram usage, and a downgraded 1060, then no its not such a great deal. But in Indo-Asiatic markets, that's a decent price for that stuff and the Ryzen build would be a lot more.

500$ CAD***

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
@Achaios . OP edited his posted price after my post was written, so keep your clueless, inflammatory remarks to yourself please.

12Gb sets 4Gb+4Gb in dual channel first, if the system needs more ram it then uses the remaining 4Gb in single channel, doesn't matter if it's 2 or 3 sticks. So going purely 4Gb+4Gb without the remaining 4Gb is wasted and does not in the slightest change anything except if the pc needs more than 8Gb it'll now use pagefile on the storage drives instead, which changes everything. That's IF it's 3 sticks. If it's just 2 sticks, an 8Gb and a 4Gb stick, then there is no options available to retain dual channel if removing 1 stick.

There's no performance difference between single channel and dual channel. Dual channel just doubles single channel bandwidth ability which is only of any use if you can saturate single channel bandwidth in the first place, which games don't. You'd need large file transfers to accomplish that.

Cinebench, like Shogun, wasn't really added to show a delta as much as it was added to illustrate a point: That multi-channel memory platforms have very little impact on specific tasks, like gaming and some types of live rendering. The delta between single- and dual-channel configurations was 0.25% in favor of single-channel.
Like I said, easily within normal system fluctuations. I also tested Skyrim's load time with several high-fidelity mods loaded, which should have theoretically hammered RAM and I/O for file retrieval, but saw effectively zero advantage between dual- and single-channel performance.

Basically Achaios, on that older Intel, you are wrong, everwhich way 'til Sunday. AM4 might be different, but this isn't AM4.

Last edited: