Question Core i7 7700k with 32gb RAM only showing 16gb.

Dec 12, 2019
Hi everyone, I updated my CPU to a core i7 7700k and now there is only 16gb of RAM showing instead of 32gb since I have four 8gb g.skill ddr4 3200. I would appreciate some help on this. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Zanathon
Dec 12, 2019
The problem is all 4 memories worked together before 32 gb in total, then after I updated to a core i7 7700k it shows only 16gb of memory in system info when on the BIOS the DRAM STATUS shows all 4 of them.

Dec 12, 2019
The problem is all 4 memories worked together before 32 gb in total, then after I updated to a core i7 7700k it shows only 16gb of memory in system info when on the BIOS the DRAM STATUS shows all 4 of them.
What's @Calvin7 is saying is that for working in parallel, all the RAM should have bought in the same order and set on a Dual Channel line. Different CAS level or kind of RAM (even on the same model) should have a different behavior, but it doesn't seems to be your case.

Try to to a CMOS or update the BIOS. What is your previous CPU and your actual mobo?

Dec 12, 2019
If it worked before swapping the CPU and only shows half the RAM after, my first two suspects would be poor contact in the socket / bent pin or bad CPU leading to one memory channel dropping out completely.
Hi I already already runed the intel processor diagnostic tool to rule out any problem with the cpu making poor contact or any other issue but everything was fine 🤷‍♂️

Dec 12, 2019
What's @Calvin7 is saying is that for working in parallel, all the RAM should have bought in the same order and set on a Dual Channel line. Different CAS level or kind of RAM (even on the same model) should have a different behavior, but it doesn't seems to be your case.

Try to to a CMOS or update the BIOS. What is your previous CPU and your actual mobo?
My previous CPU was a core i7 6700 and my mobo is the Asus Maximus Hero VIII.

Dec 12, 2019
My previous CPU was a core i7 6700 and my mobo is the Asus Maximus Hero VIII.
Okay, your 6th mobo supports this i7 without any problem with an updated BIOs.
But I would suggest to check the PINs as stated above and clear the BIOS settings, since some profile could be configured for the old CPU.