Core i7 8700k very high temps (85-90)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 28, 2018
So, I just got a 8700k, and I was surprised to see the temps going up to 95 while gaming, and suddenly once, there was a Thermal Throttling, as it reached 100 for seconds. Idk why, or what causes this, but I only use it for gaming, and i didn't even overclock it.

*note, it's using the stock things as I didn't edit them at all*

specs:

Mobo: MSI Z370 Tomhawk
cooler: Coolermaster hyper h411r
gpu: gtx 1070ti.

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
H411R has a TDP rating of 100W (http://www.coolermaster.com/tdp-and-socket-compatibility/)

Check that link and choose a cooler preferably with around 200W or more TDP rating (or choose a different brand if you prefer, like a Noctua NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, they are marginally better than Coolermaster's higher end air coolers). Note that some of these higher rated coolers on that link are AIO liquid coolers. You can always go for those if you want, but you shouldn't need to.

The thermal paste most higher end Coolermaster air coolers it come with should be on par with Arctic MX-4 (8.5 W/mK) and you should not get these high temperatures under load.
Even with a Hyper 212 Evo, your temps would be better (150W vs the H411R's 100W) but if you're buying new there's no reason to not get something better, they're not considerably more expensive.

Stock TDP of an i7 8700k is 95W, but you want to have a heat-sink rating of much more than that, especially when overclocking, as TDP can increase a lot.

Jul 28, 2018

I actually changed the cooler today to Hyper212 Turbo, and still got the same problem, so I guess it's not the cooler? Something is really wrong, people with same specs and coolers don't get those high temps, and even I changed the whole possessor to a 8700 , and it still getting 90-95 with hyper 212 turbo cooler...so I should have got something better but still...overheating.

well that cooler is a step up from what you were using at least. it should be good enough to get the job done.

The only conclusion I can make is either
1) there is no/bad airflow in your case (you can test this by removing the side of the case and blowing air onto the motherboard with a room fan)
2) the cpu cooler isn't installed properly (most likely cause); in which case you'll need to clean the contact surfaces of the cpu and bottom of the cooler, reapply the thermal paste (too much or too little is equally bad, there are COUNTLESS youtubes on how to do this right, I'm a fan of the bead method)
3) the temp monitor on your motherboard is faulty. (update the bios)

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

What *thermal paste* are you using, how are you applying it, and are you securing the heat-sink too tight or too loose? You can use a program like HWiNFO64 to check your the Vcore of your motherboard to see if it's ridiculously high (like 1.4V). Higher voltages will yield higher temps... but if you tried two processors, it shouldn't be them. Have you checked the temps on the VRM sensor on your motherboard, too?

Ambient temperature and your case airflow setup can also have a major effect on the temps you are getting. If you don't have enough fans or they're installed the wrong way, you could be getting some differences, and all of these factors can add up to higher temps.

If you tried two different processors, it probably has to do with the *thermal paste* you are using, how you're applying it, or how you installed the cooler.
I ran with a Hyper 212 Evo with the 8700k overclocked to 4.7/4.8ghz six cores and never got to 90C under load. I used Arctic MX-4 and applied using the dot method. I used a Corsair 750D airflow with two 140mm intake fans and 1 140mm outtake in the rear.

Note: for the Hyper 212, check the mounting brackets and ensure they are flat. I had an issue a long time ago with an Evo (not a turbo) where the mounting brackets were somehow bent from shipping and it was wobbling around and not making proper contact with the CPU IHS, causing temps up to 30C more than they should have been.

Jul 28, 2018

Well (I'm not really into PC stuff so there are afew words in your post I didn't understand, sorry, if you can explain what TIM is, and make your post easier, I would be so thankful.. the shop I bought from the things said that it has to be the MOBO, as we changed cooler and possessor, they said it's the last thing that may be causing this heat, can this be true? I'm using a MSI Z370 TOMHAWK as stated. Idk what to do actually.

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

I apologize for that '~', it's likely going to be "thermal paste". There are many different solutions to increase contact between your processor (the flat part you see is what's called the IHS/integrated heat spreader). You're probably using thermal "paste" and I'm guessing you're using the stuff that comes with the cooler?

Before assuming it's your motherboard (which it could be) it's best to make sure the cooler situation is sorted out, because otherwise you could get a new motherboard and have the same problem. Some people seem to have trouble with installation and I'm not saying it has to be your fault.

ingtar33 mentioned "3) the temp monitor on your motherboard is faulty. (update the bios)" This is a possibility, but flashing BIOS is (technically) more risky than reseating a CPU cooler. Everything else he said is a simple explanation of what's probably the problem. I'd check these in the order he wrote them.

"1) there is no/bad airflow in your case (you can test this by removing the side of the case and blowing air onto the motherboard with a room fan)
2) the cpu cooler isn't installed properly (most likely cause); in which case you'll need to clean the contact surfaces of the cpu and bottom of the cooler, reapply the thermal paste (too much or too little is equally bad, there are COUNTLESS youtubes on how to do this right, I'm a fan of the bead method)"

Jul 28, 2018

Thanks for making it clear, well I updated the BIOS, just like 2 hours ago, I can see a little things being better, like the temps now don't go more than 90. I think that's better, but it's still bad. And about the Thermal Paste, I did change it twice, with the new cooler Hyper 212 Turbo and with the Cooler I originally bought the h411r, and nothing changed.

there is something I need to understand, if you would explain, you said that it can be the motherboard like they said, how can the motherboard affect the temp of the cpu? how does this work is what I don't understand, if you can explain, it would be really nice of you.
Thanks.

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

There could be a problem with just the temperature sensors or the actual heat tolerance or voltage of the motherboard. Like I mentioned with the VRM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRRODHoQAHI).
Like I mentioned, using a program like HWiNFO64 to check your motherboard Vcore and your other sensors might help illuminate the problem if you're 100% sure it's not the cooler... although I'd still recommend something better for the i7 8700k long term. Depending on your full setup it may not be able to keep it cool enough.
There's always the possibility it's the motherboard, but it's more likely the cooling solution and this should be looked into first.

The Hyper 212 Turbo is STILL a budget cooler, need to move away from those and get a good cooler.

Jul 28, 2018
I now get 70-85c while gaming on Ultra settings using the same cooler after reinstalling it, I have a question; I get around 115-140 fps while playing Battlefield 1 on Ultra Settings, 1080p, with everything opened. Is this frame-rate normal and good enough for the specs below or what?

Specs: 8700 non k.
RAM: 16 GB 2400.
MOBO MSI Z370 Gaming M5.
GPU: GTX 1070 TI.
PSU: Coolermaster 700.

Jul 28, 2018

I now get 70-85c while gaming on Ultra settings using the same cooler after reinstalling it, I also have another question; I get around 115-140 fps while playing Battlefield 1 on Ultra Settings, 1080p, with everything opened. Is this frame-rate normal and good enough for the specs below or what?

Specs: 8700 non k.
RAM: 16 GB 2400.
MOBO MSI Z370 Gaming M5.
GPU: GTX 1070 TI.
PSU: Coolermaster 700.