Core i7-930 at Microcenter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iokau

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So, I found this Core i7-930 at Microcenter for $199.99. My first thought was...buy it! But then I thought...why is it so cheap? Is there something wrong with it? So, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what's up with this deal.

Solution
They do it to get people into the store/spread there name. And no there are no catches/bait and switches. On the site they even tell you how many the have in stock at the store. The other stores/on-line retailers are not selling them really expensive either werxen. The 199.99 at microcenter is probably cheaper than Intels tray price per 1000 chips.

I for one love that store. They actually have people in there that know what they are selling which is nice. And the prices are really good for a retail store period. Even on the items not on sale.

Maybe they'll have the i7-980 for $300 :D.

I'd definitely pick one up at that price, and bring 19 disguises with me :kaola:

Seriously, in the retail business, it does not help if your customers, or competitors know what you are paying. Pricing strategy is what they all live or die by, and employees are never going to be allowed to get the real numbers on purpose. Remember all the articles you see, some of them here on Tom's even, where they take stuff apart and try guess what it costs to make the item? (although their pricing logic is usually way off base most of the time) Point is, what companies pay for products in retail business is tough to know the actual truth of it, unless you are senior purchasing agent.

But, some companies may let the employee know, especially if the company is employee owned. Still though, getting back to the original conversations, not every pays the tray price, or even close to it.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

/friend 1

How many disguises do you have? :)

Seriously now, does MicroCenter have any sweet deals other than CPU?

They I'm sure are causing a lot of spark about their store that way. Can't count the number of times we have referred someone to that place.

How strict are they on people buying and reselling? (Not saying I want to) It seems like they would have a constant problem with that there. I work at a dollar store (I know I know) and people do it here all the time. I've found about 3 ebay stores that people sell our stuff on locally. (They charge anywhere up to a 1000% mark-up)

Oh, and here the employees know the costs for each item. Hell I had to put half of the damn items in the system. Then again this is a dollar store.

Can't you find base price for a lot of items on the net?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Forget about whether employees know or don't know what the company paid for the items. Let's talk about this sale.

This is a good deal but let's break down the actual cost. If you have to drive more than an hour or two hours and then an hour in the store for processing and browsing, that's half a day that could have been spent doing something else. Then add $18 for sales tax and $20 for fuel.

I live out of state so if I order Newegg, it takes me 5 minutes online and the box gets delivered to my door in 2 days. I'll spend about $60 more but 99% less effort, no driving no going to the gas station to fill up. I'll probably wait (in fact I'll suggest it to Newegg) for Newegg to offer this item in Shell Shocker.

But if I lived a mile from Microcenter of course I'd choose to just walk there and pick it up.