Core i7 Incompatible With Performance DDR3 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I might still buy it.But if Deneb is close,I will probably go for them since they will probably support DDR2 and DDR3,aswell as possibly better overclocking.But i7 will have triple channel...we'll see.

cushgod

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
it still will be the fastest chipset/chip/memory we can get our hands on So yes you will still buy it!! lol j/k!
I only believe it (inquirer) because the picture speaks for itself.
If you read that lnked article in beginning, its a 2.93 overclocked on air to 4.1ghz!! thats aweosme! ITs gunna smoke AMD! sorry I gota X26000+..with a 4870 and X2 is trying to keep up with the 4870 everywhere

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Actually the JEDEC standard specified DDR3 to be at 1.5 volt with the usual 5 or 10% tolerance. So called performance memory is just ordinary memory running at a higher voltage and sold at a higher (artifical) price. If intel sticks to the specifications the memory manufacturers might actually be forced to stick to the standards too. I really hope they do.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Slobogob[/nom]Actually the JEDEC standard specified DDR3 to be at 1.5 volt with the usual 5 or 10% tolerance. So called performance memory is just ordinary memory running at a higher voltage and sold at a higher (artifical) price. If intel sticks to the specifications the memory manufacturers might actually be forced to stick to the standards too. I really hope they do.[/citation]

This is only partly true. Go buy some really fast RAM and ALSO buy the slower version of the same thing and you know what?... In a lot of cases the slower version will become unstable and crash your system much sooner that the higher speed part would at the same speed and/or voltages.

This is because the faster 'performance' RAM kits have chips with fewer imperfections that have been QCed further. The chips that aren't as pristine go to the slower parts. Its not really a new concept...cpus and graphics cards go the same way.

You are mainly paying for the better chips and the tighter QC...otherwise we'd all buy crap RAM and crank the voltage. We can't though because there is more to it than that.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom][/citation]

true. every chip is different than the one next to it on the wafer.
so they all get tested, ranked, and sold accordingly.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom][/citation]
Agreed.
Yet if i take a look at the DDR3 market all i see is modules that consume significantly more power once you cross the 1333 barrier while most 1066 modules stick to the specifications. Buying a DDR3 module for three times the price of a DDR2 module of the same size while the module doesn`t even stick to the specifications and might not run on all boards is totally unacceptable for me. Right now DDR3 is not onlay way too expensive, it is not even within specifications. And as if that wasn't enough, it doesn't really perform.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Damn, i was hoping the future memory i bought for my future 790i board would be compatible with the new i7 motherboards, if i ever decide to upgrade to the i7 that is. Is this a bad time in building a rig, any takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.