News Core i9-12900KS Takes 9% Cinebench R23 Multi-Core Lead Over 5950X

thehadgi

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Just ran first run of R23 with a 12900k, msi z690i unify, and 32gb ddr5 5600mhz after finishing my build today. hit 27356 on multicore, with a noctua d15, temps riding 100C the whole time. Gonna start looking at overclocking/undervolting and see where it gets me
Edit: Apparently my OC skills and knowledge has deteriorated significantly since my sandy bridge days; 100 C appears to be very, very bad. Duh. Gonna try repasting screwing and setting things back to defaults and starting over

Last edited:

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Intel just wants to win, that’s why they will go all out to get the performance crown back. But in order to get there, this KS version is going to need a lot more power. So while they win at performance, they failed bitterly at power needs. For consumer desktops, power is not that much of a problem. But when you look at enterprise/ data centers, the high power requirement may not make it attractive.

Reactions: jacob249358

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Intel just wants to win, that’s why they will go all out to get the performance crown back. But in order to get there, this KS version is going to need a lot more power. So while they win at performance, they failed bitterly at power needs. For consumer desktops, power is not that much of a problem. But when you look at enterprise/ data centers, the high power requirement may not make it attractive.
The 30% advantage in single core performance is noteworthy. It's unlikely Zen 4 is going to match that. Intel isn't going to releases a 13900k that is slower than that. We can assume Intel's Raptor Lake P-Cores are going to maintain the performance crown for mainstream use. The only question is by how much.